Some conceptual difficulties regarding ‘net’ multipliers
Multipliers are routinely used for impact evaluation of private projects and public policies at the national and subnational levels. Oosterhaven and Stelder (J Reg Sci 42(3), 533–543, 2002 ) correctly pointed out the misuse of standard ‘gross’ multipliers and proposed the concept of ‘net’ multiplier as a solution to this bad practice. We prove their proposal is not well founded. We do so by showing that supporting theorems are faulty in enunciation and demonstration. The proofs are flawed due to an analytical error, but the theorems themselves cannot be salvaged as generic, non-curiosum counterexamples demonstrate. We also provide a general analytical framework for multipliers and, using it, we show that standard ‘gross’ multipliers are all that are needed within the interindustry model since they follow the causal logic of the economic model, are well-defined and independent of exogenous shocks, and are interpretable as predictors for change. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
Volume (Year): 51 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferran Sancho, 2012.
"Straightening out the concept of direct and indirect input requirements,"
AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 502-509.
- Ferran Sancho, 2011. "Straightening out the concept of direct and indirect input requirements," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 887.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Erik Dietzenbacher, 2005. "More on multipliers," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 421-426.
- Louis De Mesnard, 2007.
"A critical comment on Oosterhaven–Stelder net multipliers,"
- Louis Mesnard, 2007. "A critical comment on Oosterhaven–Stelder net multipliers," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 249-271, June.
- Louis de Mesnard, 2002.
"NoteAbout the Concept of "Net Multipliers","
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 545-548.
- Louis Mesnard, 2007.
"Reply to Oosterhaven’s: the net multiplier is a new key sector indicator,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 285-296, June.
- Louis De Mesnard, 2007. "Reply to Oosterhaven's: the net multiplier is a new key sector indicator," Post-Print halshs-00114636, HAL.
- Gim, Ho Un & Kim, Koonchan, 1998. "The General Relation between Two Different Notions of Direct and Indirect Input Requirements," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 199-208, January.
- Jan Oosterhaven & Dirk Stelder, 2002. "Net Multipliers Avoid Exaggerating Impacts: With A Bi-Regional Illustration for the Dutch Transportation Sector," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 533-543.
- Jan Oosterhaven, 2007. "The net multiplier is a new key sector indicator: reply to De Mesnard’s comment," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 273-283, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:51:y:2013:i:2:p:537-552. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.