Currency Union and Foreign Direct Investment Inflow: Evidence from Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
This study investigates the effect of currency union membership on foreign direct investment inflow to ECOWAS subregion. The study employed panel dynamic ordinary least square (DOLS) to estimate a panel data of fifteen ECOWAS countries from 1995 to 2010 with the framework of the gravity model. The result indicates a positive effect of a currency union on FDI inflow to ECOWAS, which shows that the presence of a currency union is likely to increase FDI by 46%. The control variables; political constraint, current account and trade openness is significant in explaining FDI inflow to ECOWAS. The implications of the findings are that currency union positively influences the flow of FDI into ECOWAS region, and this requires stable political environment, financial and trade openness. It goes to suggest that adoption of common currency should go with these factors to maximize the benefit of currency union membership in the region.
Volume (Year): 63 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 21 693 0036
Fax: +41 21 693 0020
Web page: http://spoudai.unipi.gr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jelle Brouwer & Richard Paap & Jean-Marie Viaene, 2007.
"The Trade and FDI Effects of EMU Enlargement,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2123, CESifo Group Munich.
- Petroulas, Pavlos, 2007.
"The effect of the euro on foreign direct investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1468-1491, August.
- Pavlos Petroulas, 2006. "The Effect of the Euro on Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 48, Bank of Greece.
- Petroulas, Pavlos, 2004. "The Effect of the Euro on Foreign Direct Investment," Research Papers in Economics 2004:5, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1999.
NBER Working Papers
7023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-81, August.
- Pantelis Pantelidis & Dimitrios Kyrkilis & Efthymios Nikolopoulos, 2012. "European Monetary Union and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows," SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, University of Piraeus, vol. 62(1-2), pages 47-55, January -.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998.
"Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models,"
422, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "Fragmentation in simple trade models," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
- Lane, Philip R., 2006.
"The Real Effects of EMU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5536, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane, 2006. "The Real Effects of EMU," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp115, IIIS.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 2000.
"How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997. "How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?," NBER Working Papers 6030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997. "How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 63, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Stefano Schiavo, 2005.
"Common Currencies and FDI Flows,"
LEM Papers Series
2005/07, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Jörn Kleinert & Farid Toubal, 2010.
"Gravity for FDI,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 1-13, 02.
- Kleinert, Jörn & Toubal, Farid, 2005. "Gravity for FDI," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 46, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Kleinert, Jörn & Toubal, Farid, 2007. "Gravity for FDI," Tübinger Diskussionsbeiträge 313, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lee, Jeong-Yeon & Mansfield, Edwin, 1996. "Intellectual Property Protection and U.S. Foreign Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 181-86, May.
- José de Sousa & Julie Lochard, 2011. "Does the Single Currency Affect Foreign Direct Investment?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(3), pages 553-578, 09.
- Henisz, Witold J, 2000. "The Institutional Environment for Multinational Investment," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 334-64, October.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1989. "The Generalized Gravity Equation, Monopolistic Competition, and the Factor-Proportions Theory in International Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 143-53, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spd:journl:v:63:y:2013:i:1-2:p:121-132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.