Productivity Growth in Canadian and U.S. Regulated Industries
This article compares the productivity growth of a set of Canadian and U.S. regulated industries. Using data from Statistics Canada’s KLEMS database and the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, the article examines productivity growth in transportation services (which includes air, rail, and other transportation services), broadcasting and telecommunications, cultural industries (which include publishing and information services, and motion pictures and sound recording), and financial services (which includes financial intermediation and insurance) over the period from 1977 to 2006. These industries provide the foundational networks on which other industries rely. In 1977, they were quite heavily regulated in Canada. They experienced deregulation after 1977, but still faced various types of regulation in 2006. Deregulation also occurred in the United States, but regulation has generally been less restrictive in that country over the period.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 151 Slater Street, Suite 710, Ottawa, ON K1P 5H3|
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jason Allen & Walter Engert, 2007. "Efficiency and Competition in Canadian Banking," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2007(Summer), pages 33-45.
- Gu, Wulong & Baldwin, John R., 2009. "Productivity Performance in Canada, 1961 to 2008: An Update on Long-term Trends," The Canadian Productivity Review 2009025e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2006. "Regulation and Productivity Performance," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 186-202, Summer.
- Fisher, Anthony & Gu, Wulong & Baldwin, John R. & Lee, Frank C & Robidoux, Benoit, 2008. "Capital Intensity in Canada and the United States, 1987 to 2003," The Canadian Productivity Review 2008018e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Tanguay, Marc & Baldwin, John R. & Wong, Fanny & Maynard, Jean-Pierre & Yan, Beiling, 2005. "A Comparison of Canadian and U.S. Productivity Levels: An Exploration of Measurement Issues," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2005028e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Paul Conway & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2006. "Product Market Regulation in the Non-Manufacturing Sectors of OECD Countries: Measurement and Highlights," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 530, OECD Publishing.
- Gu, Wulong & Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2007. "User Guide for Statistics Canada's Annual Multifactor Productivity Program," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007014e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Gu, Wulong & Baldwin, John R., 2007. "Long-term Productivity Growth in Canada and the United States," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007013e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Gu, Wulong & Baldwin, John R., 2007. "Investment and Long-term Productivity Growth in the Canadian Business Sector, 1961 to 2002," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007006e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Paul Conway & Donato de Rosa & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Faye Steiner, 2006. "Product market regulation and productivity convergence," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2006(2), pages 39-76.
- Baldwin, John R., 2007. "Productivity Performance in Canada, 1961 to 2005," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007011e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:ipmsls:v:19:y:2010:4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CSLS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.