Income Distribution, Income Inequality and Life Cycle Effects - A Nonparametric Analysis for Switzerland
This paper illustrates the use of nonparametric estimation techniques in the analysis of income distribution and income inequality with focus on identifying life cycle effects. I consider kernel estimates of the univariate income density and of the bivariate incomeage density. The income-age relationship is also explored by using kernel regression. It turns out that there is a strong concave relation. To analyze the degree of inequality I estimate age-conditional inequality measures nonparametrically. Employing inequality indices belonging to the class of General Entropy measures, which are additively decomposable by population subgroups, allows to compare the results with the traditional approach. It turns out that there is hardly any difference. About 12-15% of total inequality can be attributed to life cycle effects.
Volume (Year): 130 (1994)
Issue (Month): III (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Gerfin, 1994.
"Income Distribution, Income Inequality and Life Cycle Effects - A Nonparametric Analysis for Switzerland,"
dp9405, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Michael Gerfin, 1994. "Income Distribution, Income Inequality and Life Cycle Effects - A Nonparametric Analysis for Switzerland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 130(III), pages 509-522, September.
- Paglin, Morton, 1975. "The Measurement and Trend of Inequality: A Basic Revision," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 598-609, September.
- Jenkins, S., 1988. "The Measurement Of Economic Inequality," Papers 170, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Lars Osberg, 1998. "Economic Insecurity," Discussion Papers 0088, University of New South Wales, Social Policy Research Centre.
- Pudney, Stephen, 1993. "Income and Wealth Inequality and the Life Cycle: A Non-parametric Analysis for China," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 249-76, July-Sept.
- Wolfgang HAERDLE & Marlene MUELLER, . "Applied nonparametric smoothing techniques," Statistic und Oekonometrie 9303, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:1994-iii-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.