Production and Efficiency in Association Football
- Fiona Carmichael
(University of Salford)
- Dennis Thomas
(University of Wales Aberystwyth)
- Robert Ward
(University of Salford)
Despite their proliferation, sporting production function studies remain almost entirely U.S.-based, concentrating largely (although not exclusively) on baseball. Mainly due to a dearth of match-play statistics, there have been few studies of other, more interactive sports. This study attempts to partly fill the gap by using a new data source containing information on specific match-play variables to estimate a season-based production function for English Premiership association football teams. On the basis of computed residuals, the authors also identify those teams shown to be relatively efficient and inefficient in various aspects of match plays.
Volume (Year): 2 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|
- Papahristodoulou, Christos, 2006. "Team Performance in UEFA Champions League 2005-06," MPRA Paper 138, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:qut:dpaper:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ilhyeok Park & Young Hoon Lee, 2012.
"Efficiency Comparison of International Golfers in the LPGA,"
Journal of Sports Economics,
, vol. 13(4), pages 378-392, August.
- Young Hoon Lee, 2011. "Efficiency Comparison of International Golfers in the LPGA," Working Papers 1103, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University, revised 2011.
- Barros, Carlos P., 2003. "Incentive Regulation and Efficiency in Sport Organisational Training Activities," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 33-52, May.
- Fiona Carmichael & Dennis Thomas, 2014. "Team performance: production and efficiency in football," Chapters,in: Handbook on the Economics of Professional Football, chapter 10, pages 143-165 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2005. "Talent, Past Consumption and/or Popularity - Are German Soccer Celebrities Rosen or Adler Stars?," Working Papers 0043, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2006.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2005. "Talent, Past Consumption and/or Popularity - Are German Soccer Celebrities Rosen or Adler Stars?," Working Papers 0005, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised 2006.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2006. "Talent, Past Consumption and/or Popularity – Are German Soccer Celebrities Rosen or Adler Stars?," IASE Conference Papers 0610, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Bäker Agnes & Vetter Karin & Mechtel Mario, 2012. "Beating thy Neighbor: Derby Effects in German Professional Soccer," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 232(3), pages 224-246, June.
- Debnath Roma Mitra & Malhotra Ashish, 2015. "Measuring Efficiency of Nations in Multi Sport Events: A case of Commonwealth Games XIX," Naše gospodarstvo/Our economy, De Gruyter Open, vol. 61(1), pages 25-36, March.
- Leif Brandes & Egon Franck & Stephan Nuesch, 2006. "Local Heroes and Superstars - An Empirical Analysis of Star Attraction in German Soccer," Working Papers 0046, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2007.
- Leif Brandes & Egon Franck & Stephan Nuesch, 2006. "Local Heroes and Superstars - An Empirical Analysis of Star Attraction in German Soccer," Working Papers 0007, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised 2007.
- Aylin Seckin, "undated". "Home Advantage in Association Football: Evidence from Turkish Super League," EcoMod2006 272100080, EcoMod.
- Del Corral, Julio, 2012. "Eficiencia en el deporte: Entrenadores en la Primera División del fútbol español 2009-2011/Efficiency in Sports: Coaches in the Spanish Football First Division 2009-2011," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 545-564, Agosto.
- Young Hoon Lee, 2009. "Frontier Models and their Application to the Sports Industry," Working Papers 0903, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University, revised 2009.
- Seung Chan Ahn & Young Hoon Lee, 2014. "Beauty And Productivity: The Case Of The Ladies Professional Golf Association," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(1), pages 155-168, 01.
- Seung Chan Ahn & Young Hoon Lee, 2011. "Beauty and Productivity:The Case of the Ladies Professional Golf Association," Working Papers 1119, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University, revised 2011.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Julio del Corral & Pedro Garcia-del-Barrio, 2008. "Identification of Segments of Soccer Clubs in the Spanish League First Division With a Latent Class Model," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 9(5), pages 451-469, October.
- Barros, Carlos & del Corral, Julio & García-del-Barrio, Pedro, 2007. "Identification of Segments of Soccer Clubs in the Spanish League First Division with a Latent Class Model," Efficiency Series Papers 2007/01, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Papahristodoulou, Christos, 2007. "An analysis of Champions League match statistics," MPRA Paper 3605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Néstor Garza, Iván Yunis, 2012. "Desempeño de los equipos en el fútbol profesional colombiano: un análisis in game," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL CARIBE 010254, UNIVERSIDAD DEL NORTE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:jospec:v:2:y:2001:i:3:p:228-243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed