Australian Tax Changes and Dividend Reinvestment Announcement Effects: A Pre- and Post-Imputation Study
This paper used an event study approach to examine the impact of dividend reinvestment plans on shareholders' returns in the pre- and post-imputation environments. The daily share return behaviour indicated that the announcement to introduce a dividend reinvestment plan (DRP) was received indifferently by the market before 1 July 1988, but was valued positively after superannuation funds were able to benefit from the imputation credits. Moreover, the simple market-adjusted returns model and the market model had similar power in detecting abnormal returns in an Australian context.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peterson, Pamela P & Peterson, David R & Moore, Norman H, 1987. "The Adoption of New-Issue Dividend Reinvestment Plans and Shareholder Wealth," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 221-232, May.
- Dodd, Peter & Warner, Jerold B., 1983. "On corporate governance : A study of proxy contests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 401-438, April.
- Terrence J. Shevlin, 1981. "Measuring Abnormal Performance on the Australian Securities Market," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 6(1), pages 67-108, June.
- N. A. Sinclair, 1981. "An Empirical Examination of the Required Number of Leading and Lagged Variables for ACM Beta Estimation," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 6(2), pages 119-126, December.
- Brickley, James A., 1986. "Interpreting Common Stock Returns around Proxy Statement Disclosures and Annual Shareholder Meetings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 343-349, September.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411-411.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-1051, September.
- Dimson, Elroy, 1979. "Risk measurement when shares are subject to infrequent trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 197-226, June.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:ausman:v:18:y:1993:i:1:p:41-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.