The Creative Class and Economic Development as Practiced in the Rural U.S. South: An Exploratory Survey of Economic Development Professionals
The research administers an exploratory survey to local economic developers in the state of Kentucky to examine opinion regarding the creative class. We hypothesize that Kentucky officials, especially the ones from the rural areas of the state, will be skeptical of the creative class theory of economic development. However, analysis shows half of the sampled economic developers to be supportive of the creative class, and rural developers are just as likely as urban ones to support the theory.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Schoales, 2006. "Alpha Clusters: Creative Innovation in Local Economies," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 20(2), pages 162-177, May.
- Dan S. Rickman & Shane D. Rickman, 2009.
"Population Growth in High Amenity Nonmetropolitan Areas: What’s the Prognosis?,"
Economics Working Paper Series
0907, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business.
- Dan S. Rickman & Shane D. Rickman, 2011. "Population Growth In High‐Amenity Nonmetropolitan Areas: What'S The Prognosis?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(5), pages 863-879, December.
- Andy C. Pratt, 2008. "Creative cities: the cultural industries and the creative class," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20704, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gary Sands & Laura A. Reese, 2008. "Cultivating the Creative Class: And What About Nanaimo?," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 22(1), pages 8-23, February.
- Elizabeth Currid-Halkett & Kevin Stolarick, 2011. "The Great Divide: Economic Development Theory Versus Practice—A Survey of the Current Landscape," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 25(2), pages 143-157, May.
- Ron A. Boschma & Michael Fritsch, 2009. "Creative Class and Regional Growth: Empirical Evidence from Seven European Countries," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 85(4), pages 391-423, October.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Vijay K. Mathur, 1999. "Human Capital-Based Strategy for Regional Economic Development," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 13(3), pages 203-216, August.
- Wojan, Timothy R. & McGranahan, David A., 2007. "Ambient Returns: Creative Capital's Contribution to Local Manufacturing Competitiveness," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rre:publsh:v:41:y:2011:i:2:p:139-159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark L. Burkey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.