Arbitrages and Arrow-Debreu Prices
The goal of this work is to check that there are no arbitrage opportunities in the CBOE market for S&P500 options and to extract from these options’ quotes the state-price density consistent with the Merton model. The structure of the article is as follows: in Section 2 we examine the relations between arbitrages and Arrow-Debreu prices; in Section 3 we consider two models which seem to be consistent with the market prices of index options: the CEV model and the Merton model; finally, in Section 4 we estimate the state-price density consistent with the Merton-Geske model. Some conclusions follow.
Volume (Year): 98 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (November-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scholes, Myron S. & Wolfson, Mark A., 1989.
"Decentralized investment banking : The case of discount dividend-reinvestment and stock-purchase plans,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 7-35, September.
- Myron S. Scholes & Mark A. Wolfson, 1989. "Decentralized Investment Banking: The Case of Discount Dividend-Reinve stment and Stock-Purchase Plans," NBER Working Papers 3093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Banz, Rolf W & Miller, Merton H, 1978. "Prices for State-contingent Claims: Some Estimates and Applications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 653-72, October.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990.
"Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1991. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 225-62, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of security market data for models of dynamic economies," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 29, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Geske, Robert, 1977. "The Valuation of Corporate Liabilities as Compound Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 541-552, November.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Garman, Mark B., 1976. "An algebra for evaluating hedge portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 403-427, October.
- Rubinstein, Mark, 1994. " Implied Binomial Trees," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 771-818, July.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-51, October.
- Mark Rubinstein., 1994. "Implied Binomial Trees," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-232, University of California at Berkeley.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:98:y:2008:i:6:p:43-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.