Poverty Analysis in the European Union: A Fuzzy Multidimensional Approach
This paper discusses a Fuzzy Multidimensional approach which is developed from a completely relative notion of deprivation, and reports the results obtained from an analysis on the European Community Household Panel. Within this unified framework the classic monetary analysis can be coherently integrated by auxiliary variables which proxy other impoverishment traits such as the possession of durable goods, housing conditions and financial status. The all-comprehensive information-set allows to measure various aspects of what is commonly understood as poverty by identifying different refinements within the notion of poverty itself, however the interconnection between these different aspects still needs to be untangled.
Volume (Year): 97 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 (November-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90.
- Ebert, Udo, 1997. "Social Welfare When Needs Differ: An Axiomatic Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 233-44, May.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1986. "On Measuring Child Costs: With Applications to Poor Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 720-44, August.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1995. "Revisiting the Sen Poverty Index," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1225-30, September.
- McClements, L. D., 1977. "Equivalence scales for children," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 191-210, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:97:y:2007:i:6:p:37-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.