Board Dynamics and Financial Reporting Quality in Nigeria
The code of corporate Governance code (2011) in Nigeria was ushered with a target to enhance the monitoring function of board of directors and audit committees. This study investigates the ability of certain board dynamics to influence management attitude in relation to reporting quality in Nigerian listed firms. Accruals, a proxy for financial reporting quality is estimated using the Dechow and Dichev model. Using a panel data obtained from annual reports of 69 listed Nigerian firms from 2008 to 2012, the study documents that board independence, board tenure, gender diversity and directors’ shareholding are significant predictors of financial reporting credibility in Nigeria. The board size was found to have a neutral effect on financial reporting quality. This study extends existing literature by contributing to knowledge on how board traits influence financial reporting quality in emerging economies such as Nigeria.
Volume (Year): 15 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://www.management.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Short, Helen & Keasey, Kevin, 1999. "Managerial ownership and the performance of firms: Evidence from the UK," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 79-101, March.
- Klein, April, 2002. "Audit committee, board of director characteristics, and earnings management," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 375-400, August.
- Xie, Biao & Davidson, Wallace III & DaDalt, Peter J., 2003. "Earnings management and corporate governance: the role of the board and the audit committee," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 295-316, June.
- Ryan Davidson & Jenny Goodwin-Stewart & Pamela Kent, 2005. "Internal governance structures and earnings management," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 45(2), pages 241-267.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rom:rmcimn:v:15:y:2014:i:2:p:226-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marian Nastase)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.