Liquidity Characteristics, Implicit Information of Asset Prices and Monetary Policy in China
This paper empirically analyzes the liquidity characteristics of asset price boom-busts and the implicit information of asset prices in China during the period 1998-2011. The results indicate that liquidity plays an important role in asset price cycles and asset prices contain specific information of future output and inflation. Housing price booms are more consistent with credit expansion than stock price. Likewise, housing price has stable positive connection with future output gap and inflation relative to stock price. Based on the above results, the Chinese monetary policy should intervene in asset prices misalignment when in need, even targeting at housing price as conditions permit. Besides, credit control should be adopted to restrain housing price effectively.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio Borio, 2005. "Monetary and Financial Stability: So Close and Yet So Far?," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 192(1), pages 84-101, April.
- Olivier Jeanne & Michael D. Bordo, 2002.
"Monetary Policy and Asset Prices; Does "Benign Neglect" Make Sense?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/225, International Monetary Fund.
- Bordo, Michael D & Jeanne, Olivier, 2002. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices: Does 'Benign Neglect' Make Sense?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 139-64, Summer.
- Adalid, Ramón & Detken, Carsten, 2007. "Liquidity shocks and asset price boom/bust cycles," Working Paper Series 0732, European Central Bank.
- Gerdesmeier, Dieter & Roffia, Barbara & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 2009.
"Asset price misalignments and the role of money and credit,"
Working Paper Series
1068, European Central Bank.
- Dieter Gerdesmeier & Hans‐Eggert Reimers & Barbara Roffia, 2010. "Asset Price Misalignments and the Role of Money and Credit," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 377-407, Winter.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 2001. "Should Central Banks Respond to Movements in Asset Prices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 253-257, May.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin, 2008.
"Financial structure and the impact of monetary policy on asset prices,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/30, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Katrin Assenmacher-Wesche & Stefan Gerlach, 2008. "Financial Structure and the Impact of Monetary Policy on Asset Prices," Working Papers 2008-16, Swiss National Bank.
- Huang Yiping & Wang Xun & Hua Xiuping, 2010. "What Determine ChinaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Inflation?," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22770, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2013:i:4:p:56-66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.