An Evaluation of Effectiveness of Fuzzy Logic Model in Predicting the Business Bankruptcy
In front of the current global financial crisis, the future existence of the firms is uncertain. The characteristics and the dynamics of the current world and the interdependences between the financial and economic markets around it demand a continuous research for new methods of bankruptcy prediction. The purpose of this article is to present a fuzzy logic-based system that predicts bankruptcy for one, two and three years before the possible failure of companies. The proposed fuzzy model uses as inputs financial ratios, that is dynamics of the financial ratios. In order to design and to implement the model, authors have used financial statements of 132 stock equity companies (25 bankrupt and 107 nonbankrupt). The paper presents also the testing and validation of the created fuzzy logic models.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morariu, Nicolae & Iancu, Eugenia & Vlad, Sorin, 2009. "A Neural Network Model for Time-Series Forecasting," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 213-223, December.
- Daianu, Daniel & Lungu, Laurian, 2008. "Why Is This Financial Crisis Occurring? How To Respond To It?," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(4), pages 59-87, December.
- H. Ooghe & S. De Prijcker, 2006.
"Failure process and causes of company bankruptcy: a typology,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
06/388, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ooghe, H. & De Prijcker, S., 2006. "Failure processes and causes of company bankruptcy: a typology," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2006-21, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- S. Balcaen & H. Ooghe, 2004. "35 years of studies on business failure: an overview of the classical statistical methodologiesand their related problems," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/248, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Nastac, Iulian & Dobrescu, Emilian & Pelinescu, Elena, 2007. "Neuro-Adaptive Model for Financial Forecasting," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 4(3), pages 19-41, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2011:i:3:p:92-107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.