Inter-industries productivity gap and the services employment dynamics
The dynamics of employment in final services depends on a set of economic, social and cultural factors. On the other hand, the increase in the population incomes (and the influence of some national factors) leads to an increase in the demand for services. However, the relatively poor productivity (Baumol, Blackman and Wolff, 1989) also determines the increase in prices, this evolution leading to a decrease in the demand for services. In the paper, the conditions in which the effect induced by the demand-income elasticity over the dynamics of the services surpasses the substitution effect generated by the demand-price elasticity are analyzed so that the growth rate of the production in the service sector is higher than the growth rate of the productivity in the same sector. From the different evolution of the two variables results the long-term growth of the share of employment in services in the total employment at the national level.
Volume (Year): 4 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol, William J. & Batey Blackman, Sue Anne & Wolff, Edward N., 1984.
"Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence,"
84-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Baumol, William J & Blackman, Sue Anne Batey & Wolff, Edward N, 1985. "Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 806-17, September.
- Anita Wölfl, 2004. "Productivity Growth in Services Industries: Is There a Role for Measurement?," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 8, pages 66-80, Spring.
- Oulton, Nicholas, 2001.
"Must the Growth Rate Decline? Baumol's Unbalanced Growth Revisited,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 605-27, October.
- Nicholas Oulton, 2000. "Must the growth rate decline? Baumol's unbalanced growth revisited," Bank of England working papers 107, Bank of England.
- Gronroos, Christian & Ojasalo, Katri, 2004. "Service productivity: Towards a conceptualization of the transformation of inputs into economic results in services," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 414-423, April.
- Erwin Diewert, 2005. "Progress in Service Sector Productivity Measurement: Review Article on "Productivity in the U.S. Services Sector: New Sources of Economic Growth"," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 11, pages 57-69, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v:4:y:2007:i:2:p:5-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.