Spatial Causality. An application to the Deforestation Process in Bolivia
This paper analyses the causes of deforestation for a representative set of Bolivian municipalities. The literature on environmental economics insists on the importance of physical and social factors. We focus on the last group of variables. Our objective is to identify causal mechanisms between these factors of risk and the problem of deforestation. To this end, we present a testing strategy for spatial causality, based on a sequence of Lagrange Multipliers. The results that we obtain for the Bolivian case confirm only partially the traditional view of the problem of deforestation. Indeed, we only find unequivocal signs of causality in relation to the structure of property rights.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 21 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Viladomat, 321 entresuelo - 08029 Barcelona, Teléfono y Fax: + 34 933101112, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: www.aecr.org, Web Investigaciones Regionales: www.investigacionesregionales.org|
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoover, Kevin D., 2004. "Lost Causes," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 149-164, June.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6159 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hannu Tervo, 2009. "Centres and Peripheries in Finland: Granger Causality Tests Using Panel Data," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 377-390.
- Eve Chiapello & A. Hurand, 2011. "Contribution," Post-Print hal-00681170, HAL.
- James J. Heckman, 2000.
"Causal Parameters and Policy Analysis in Economics: A Twentieth Century Retrospective,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(1), pages 45-97.
- James L. Heckman, 1999. "Causal Parameters and Policy Analysis in Economcs: A Twentieth Century Retrospective," NBER Working Papers 7333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nair-Reichert, Usha & Weinhold, Diana, 2001. " Causality Tests for Cross-Country Panels: A New Look at FDI and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(2), pages 153-71, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo-Ortíz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.