Wealth Effect on Labor Market Transitions
Does wealth matter for labor market transitions? This paper aims at giving a quantitative answer to this question. Econometric reduced-form estimates on French panel data provide evidence of a significant wealth effect on the extensive margin of labor supply. Both unemployment duration and job quits rise with holdings of short-term liquid assets. This evidence gives support to the recent development of quantitative dynamic equilibrium search models incorporating precautionary savings. We consider such a model calibrated on French data and focus on the role of the option value of search and the disutility of working. In addition, we pay attention to the important interaction between the intensive and the extensive margins of labor supply. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/red/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.economicdynamics.org/subscription-information/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hernaes, E. & Strom, S., 1995. "Heterogeneity and Unemployment Duration," Memorandum 28/1995, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-84, August.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Robert Shimer, 1999.
"Efficient Unemployment Insurance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 893-928, October.
- Daron Acemoglu & Robert Shimer, 1998. "Efficient Unemployment Insurance," NBER Working Papers 6686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, D. & Shimer, R., 1997. "Efficient Unemployment Insurance," Working papers 97-9, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Prescott, Edward C., 1974. "Equilibrium search and unemployment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 188-209, February.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1987. "Work, Rest, and Search: Unemployment, Turnover, and the Cycle," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(2), pages 131-48, April.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999.
"New developments in models of search in the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 2567-2627
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher, 1999. "New Developments in Models of Search in the Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dale Mortensen, 1984.
"Job Search and Labor Market Analysis,"
594, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Bird, Edward J & Hagstrom, Paul A, 1999. "The Wealth Effects of Income Insurance," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(3), pages 339-52, September.
- Dynarski, Mark & Sheffrin, Steven M, 1987. "Consumption and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 411-28, May.
- Brigitte Dormont & Denis Fougère & Ana Prieto, 2001.
"L'effet de l'allocation unique dégressive sur la reprise d'emploi,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 343(1), pages 3-28.
- B. Dormont & D. Fougère & A. Prieto, 2001. "L'effet de l'allocation unique dégressive sur la reprise d'emploi," THEMA Working Papers 2001-05, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Stephen P. Jenkins, 1998. "Discrete time proportional hazards regression," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(39).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:v:6:y:2003:i:1:p:156-178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.