Cap Between First and Second Pillars: Looking into EU Spending on Agriculture
In this paper we offer some reflections on the Cap reform process, starting from analysis of the objectives and the solidity of its two financial pillars. In the first part of the paper agricultural expenditure is re-classified on the basis of major Cap intervention typologies, showing how a process of de-specialisation and overlapping of measures between the two pillars is at work. In the second part various financial resource allocation criteria are analysed in the light of the weight attributed to different combinations of five macro-variables: direct payments, disadvantaged area allowances, agricultural area, environmental measures, sector modernisation measures. More in general, the paper sheds light on the necessity to review the two-pillar structure of the Cap and revise its objectives and tools in order to make it more sustainable and more equitable in the long run.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rabinowicz, Ewa, 1999. "Redesigning the CAP to Meet the Challenges of EU Enlargement and the WTO: What Can Agricultural Economic Research Contribute?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 265-81, August.
- Fabrizio De Filippis & Daniela Storti, 2002. "Le politiche di sviluppo rurale nell´unione europea: un secondo pilastro tutto da inventare," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0025, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Alan Randall, 2002. "Valuing the outputs of multifunctional agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 289-307, July.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Louis-Pascal Mahé, 2009. "Cap Payments after 2013 and Rural Public Goods," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 4, December.
- Henke, Roberto & Sardone, Roberta, 2008. "The fortune of modulation in the process of CAP reform," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44816, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zahrnt, Valentin, 2009. "Public Money for Public Goods: Winners and Losers from CAP Reform," ECIPE Working Papers 51300, European Centre for International Political Economy (ECIPE).
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Sckokai, P., 1993. "Interventi Disaccoppiati, Riforma Della Pac E Redditi Agricoli: Una Analisi Qualitativa," Staff General Research Papers 11248, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.