A Cge Model for Labour Policy Assessment
In the less developed regions of Italy, the so-called Mezzogiorno, the level of human capital is lower compared to the advanced regions od the Centre-North. We use a Computable General Equilibrium (Cge) Model to show that an increase in the demand and supply of skilled labor in the human capital-scarce regions has a smaller impact on the production activities, the aggregate income and the investments of both North and South compared to an equivalent increase in the human capital-abundant regions. This result leads to a wrong incentive for the private agents towards the underinvestment in human capital and locks the Southern regions in a trap at a low level of both economic development and human capital accumulation. Absent suitable shocks or policy interventions, this outcome is self-reinforcing.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Bontout & Sébastien Jean, 2000. "What Drove Relative Wages in France? Structural Decomposition Analysis in a General Equilibrium Framework, 1970-1992," Working Papers 2000-03, CEPII research center.
- Andrea Bassanini & Jørn Henrik Rasmussen & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Economic Effects of Employment-Conditional Income Support Schemes for the Low-Paid: An Illustration from a CGE Model Applied to Four OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 224, OECD Publishing.
- Mariano D'Antonio & Margherita Scarlato, 2000. "Capitale umano e sviluppo economico un modello di equilibrio economico generale per il centro-nord e il mezzogiorno d'Italia," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0016, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Olivier Bontout & Sébastien Jean, 1998. "Wages and Unemployment: Trade-off Under Different Labour Market Paradigms," Working Papers 1998-13, CEPII research center.
- repec:rtv:ceiswp:121 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.