A Cge Model for Labour Policy Assessment
In the less developed regions of Italy, the so-called Mezzogiorno, the level of human capital is lower compared to the advanced regions od the Centre-North. We use a Computable General Equilibrium (Cge) Model to show that an increase in the demand and supply of skilled labor in the human capital-scarce regions has a smaller impact on the production activities, the aggregate income and the investments of both North and South compared to an equivalent increase in the human capital-abundant regions. This result leads to a wrong incentive for the private agents towards the underinvestment in human capital and locks the Southern regions in a trap at a low level of both economic development and human capital accumulation. Absent suitable shocks or policy interventions, this outcome is self-reinforcing.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Bontout & Sébastien Jean, 1998. "Wages and Unemployment: Trade-off Under Different Labour Market Paradigms," Working Papers 1998-13, CEPII research center.
- Andrea Bassanini & Jørn Henrik Rasmussen & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Economic Effects of Employment-Conditional Income Support Schemes for the Low-Paid: An Illustration from a CGE Model Applied to Four OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 224, OECD Publishing.
- repec:rtv:ceiswp:121 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olivier Bontout & Sébastien Jean, 2000. "What Drove Relative Wages in France? Structural Decomposition Analysis in a General Equilibrium Framework, 1970-1992," Working Papers 2000-03, CEPII research center.
- Mariano D'Antonio & Margherita Scarlato, 2000. "Capitale umano e sviluppo economico un modello di equilibrio economico generale per il centro-nord e il mezzogiorno d'Italia," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0016, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.