Brain Drain, R&D-Cost Differentials and the Innovation Gap
This paper aims at explaining why countries with comparable levels of education still experience notable differences in terms of R&D and innovation. High skilled migration, ultimately linked to differences in R&D costs, might be responsible for the persitence of such a gap. In fact, in a model where human capital accumulation and innovation are strategic complements, we show that allowing labor outflows may strenghthen educational incentives in the lagging economy if migration is probabilistic in nature, but at the same time reduces the share of innovative production. Income (growth) might be consequently affected, and a positive migration chance is very unlikely to act as a substitute for educational subsidies.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Cozzi, 2003. "The Self-fulfilling International Allocation of Innovation," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000189, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Russell Cooper & Andrew John, 1988. "Coordinating Coordination Failures in Keynesian Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(3), pages 441-463.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2001.
"Inducing Human Capital Formation: Migration as a Substitute for Subsidies,"
100, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2002. "Inducing human capital formation: migration as a substitute for subsidies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 29-46, October.
- Benoît Mulkay & Bronwyn H, Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2000.
"Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States : A Comparison,"
2000-49, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Benoit Mulkay & Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2001. "Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States: A Comparison," Economics Papers 2001-W2, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Benoit Mulkay & Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2000. "Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States: A Comparison," NBER Working Papers 8038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, D., 1994.
"Search in the Labor market: Incomplete Contracts and Growth,"
94-23, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1994. "Search in the Labour Market, Incomplete Contracts and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Janeba, Eckhard, 1998.
"Tax competition in imperfectly competitive markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 135-153, February.
- Eckard Janeba, . "Tax Competition in Imperfectly Competitive Markets," Discussion Paper Serie A 513, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Docquier, Frédéric & Faye, Ousmane & Pestieau, Pierre, 2008.
"Is migration a good substitute for education subsidies?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 263-276, June.
- Docquier, Frederic & Faye, Ousmane & Pestieau, Pierre, 2008. "Is migration a good substitute for education subsidies ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4614, The World Bank.
- DOCQUIER, Frédéric & FAYE, Ousmane & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Is migration a good substitute for education subsidies?," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Beine, Michel & Docquier, Frederic & Rapoport, Hillel, 2001.
"Brain drain and economic growth: theory and evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 275-289, February.
- Michel Beine & Frédéric Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2001. "Brain drain and economic growth: theory and evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10449, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvre:2008031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sebastien SCHILLINGS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.