Economics of Science - A Hope or a Pitfall?
The paper poses the question whether the economics of science could be the key to economic methodology. First, the sociology of science, which tries to put science in social context, is described. Then, the economic approach to science, inspired by Tullock, Stigler and Becker, is explained. We point out the problem of circle, according to which putting science in context does not imply relativism as concerns the truth. This conclusion underlines the Popperian message of the paper.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/polek/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William A. Brock & Steven N. Durlauf, 1997.
"A Formal Model of Theory Choice in Science,"
Research in Economics
97-04-031e, Santa Fe Institute.
- Arthur Diamond, 2005. "Measurement, incentives and constraintsin Stigler's economics of science," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 635-661.
- Hands, Douglas W., 1985. "Karl Popper and Economic Methodology: A New Look," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 83-99, April.
- David M. Blank & George J. Stigler, 1957. "The Demand and Supply of Scientific Personnel," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number blan57-1.
- Paula E. Stephan, 1996. "The Economics of Science," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1199-1235, September.
- Rosenberg, Alexander, 1988. "Economics is Too Important to Be Left to the Rhetoricians," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(01), pages 129-149, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpol:v:2012:y:2012:i:4:id:861:p:536-550. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.