Who Bears the Burden of Voluntary Export Restraints?
Conventional wisdom believes that voluntary export restraints (VERs) are beneficial for the exporting country but detrimental to the importing country. Based on the benchmark model of Obstfeld and Rogoff, this paper aims to examine this belief and evaluate the welfare effects of VERs on the world economy. Analytical results find that VERs exert expansion effects on the exporting economy temporarily. The conventional view of VERs effects holds only when there is perfect competition on the goods market or when the exporting country is bigger than the importing country. On the whole, VERs deteriorate the overall welfare of the world economy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2011 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1984. "Profitability of export restraint," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 335-343, May.
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E & Rossi, Peter E, 1993. "Optimal Taxation in Models of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 485-517, June.
- Michael O. Moore & Steven M. Suranovic, 1993. "A Welfare Comparison between VERS and Tariffs under the GATT," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 447-56, May.
- Aw, Bee Yan, 1992. "An empirical model of mark-ups in a quality-differentiated export market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 327-344, November.
- Kala Krishna, 1985.
"Trade Restrictions as Facilitating Practices,"
NBER Working Papers
1546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ali M. El-Agraa, 1995. "VERs as a Prominent Feature of Japanese Trade Policy: Their Rationale, Costs and Benefits," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 219-235, 03.
- John Fender & Chong K. Yip, 1998.
"Tariffs and Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
Departmental Working Papers
_105, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Demidova, Svetlana & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2009.
"Trade policy under firm-level heterogeneity in a small economy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 100-112, June.
- Svetlana Demidova & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2007. "Trade Policy under Firm-Level Heterogeneity in a Small Economy," NBER Working Papers 13688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dei, Fumio, 1985. "Welfare gains from capital inflows under import quotas," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 237-240.
- Flam, Harry, 1994. "EC members fighting about surplus VERs, FDI and Japanese cars," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 117-131, February.
- Anderson, James E, 1985. "The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas: The Cheese Case," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 178-90, March.
- Roberto A. De Santis, 2003. "Why exporting countries agree to voluntary export restraints: the oligopolistic power of the foreign supplier," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(3), pages 247-263, 08.
- Zhou, Dongsheng & Vertinsky, Ilan, 2002. "Can protectionist trade measures make a country better off? A study of VERs and minimum quality standards," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 227-236, March.
- Masayuki Okawa, 2004. "Voluntary Export Restraints under Imperfect Competition," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 138-150, 02.
- James Levinsohn & Steven Berry & Ariel Pakes, 1999. "Voluntary Export Restraints on Automobiles: Evaluating a Trade Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 400-430, June.
- Michael O. Moore, 2005. "VERs and Price Undertakings under the WTO," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 298-310, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2011:y:2011:i:3:id:397:p:216-231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.