Tariff-jumping FDI and domestic firms' profits
Studies of trade policy welfare effects often ignore the potential for tariff-jumping foreign direct investment (FDI) to mitigate positive gains to domestic producers. Using event study methodology we find that affirmative U.S. antidumping decisions are associated with average abnormal gains of over 3% to a firm in the petitioning industry in the absence of tariff-jumping FDI, but much smaller and statistically insignificant abnormal gains if there is tariff-jumping FDI. We also find evidence that tariff jumping in the form of new plants or plant expansion has significantly larger negative effects on U.S. domestic firms' profits than other types of tariff-jumping FDI.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 37 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://economics.ca/en/membership.php Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prusa, Thomas J., 1992. "Why are so many antidumping petitions withdrawn?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 1-20, August.
- Ellingsen, Tore & Warneryd, Karl, 1999.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Political Economy of Protection,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 357-79, May.
- Ellingsen, T. & Wärneryd, K.E., 1993. "Foreign direct investment and the political economy of protection," Discussion Paper 1993-8, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert Feenstra & Bruce A. Blonigen & Harris Dellas, 2003.
"Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment,"
961, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, 1997. "Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of U.S. Trade Protection and Promotion Policies, pages 55-80 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, 1996. "Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 5475, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, . "Protectionist Threats And Foreign Direct Investment," Department of Economics 96-01, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Ruback, Richard S., 1982. "The effect of discretionary price control decisions on equity values," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 83-105, March.
- Kelly, Kenneth H & Morkre, Morris E, 1998. "Do Unfairly Traded Imports Injure Domestic Industries?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 321-32, May.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Smith, Alasdair, 1987. "Strategic investment, multinational corporations and trade policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 89-96.
- James E. Anderson, 1993.
"Domino Dumping, II: Anti-dumping,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
219, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James Levinsohn & Steven Berry & Ariel Pakes, 1999. "Voluntary Export Restraints on Automobiles: Evaluating a Trade Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 400-430, June.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1987. "Foreign direct investment with unemployment and endogenous taxes and tariffs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3-4), pages 257-279, May.
- Hartigan, James C & Kamma, Sreenivas & Perry, Philip R, 1989. "The Injury Determination Category and the Value of Relief from Dumping," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 183-86, February.
- Levinsohn, James A., 1989. "Strategic trade policy when firms can invest abroad: When are tariffs and quotas equivalent?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 129-146, August.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1999. "Trade restraints and Japanese direct investment flows," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-45, January.
- Ries, John C, 1993. "Windfall Profits and Vertical Relationships: Who Gained in the Japanese Auto Industry from VERs?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 259-76, September.
- James Devault, 1996. "The welfare effects of U.S. antidumping duties," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1995.
"Anti-Dumping Jumping: Reciprocal Anti-Dumping and Indutrial Location,"
22/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 1996. "Anti-dumping jumping: Reciprocal anti-dumping and industrial location," Discussion Papers, Series II 310, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Borenstein, Severin & Zimmerman, Martin B, 1988. "Market Incentives for Safe Commercial Airline Operation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 913-35, December.
- Saxonhouse, Gary R, 1976. "Estimated Parameters as Dependent Variables," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 178-83, March.
- Motta, Massimo, 1992. "Multinational firms and the tariff-jumping argument : A game theoretic analysis with some unconventional conclusions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1557-1571, December.
- Rosendorff, B.P., 1995.
"Voluntary Export Restraints, Anti-Dumping Procedure and Domestic Politics,"
9512, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Rosendorff, B Peter, 1996. "Voluntary Export Restraints, Antidumping Procedure, and Domestic Politics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 544-61, June.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2000.
"Tariff-Jumping Antidumping Duties,"
NBER Working Papers
7776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murray, Tracy & Rousslang, Donald J., 1989. "A method for estimating injury caused by unfair trade practices," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 149-164, December.
- René Belderbos, 1997. "Antidumping and tariff Jumping: Japanese firms’ DFI in the European union and the United States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(3), pages 419-457, September.
- Flam, Harry, 1994. "EC members fighting about surplus VERs, FDI and Japanese cars," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 117-131, February.
- Hartigan, James C & Perry, Philip R & Kamma, Sreenivas, 1986. "The Value of Administered Protection: A Capital Market Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 610-17, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cje:issued:v:37:y:2004:i:3:p:656-677. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.