Impact of Monetary Policy on Economic Instability in Turkey (1983 - 2003)
This article aims at revealing the effectiveness of Turkish monetary policy in controlling inflation rate and the stability of exchange rate using the rational expectation framework that incorporates the fiscal role of exchange rate. Based on quarterly data covering the period between 1983: Q4 and 2003: Q4, the analysis affirms that the effort of the Turkish monetary policy at influencing the finance of government fiscal deficit through the determination of the inflation-tax rate, to some extent, affects both the rate of inflation and the real exchange rate, thereby causing volatility in their rates. Moderate evidence emerges that inflation affects volatility of its own rate as well as the rate of real exchange.
Volume (Year): 2005 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shigoka Tadashi, 1994. "A Note on Woodford's Conjecture: Constructing Stationary Sunspot Equilibria in a Continuous Time Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 531-540, December.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu & Selahattin Dibooglu, 2001. "Long-Run Economic Growth: An Interdisciplinary Approach," Macroeconomics 0107004, EconWPA, revised 04 Sep 2001.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996.
"Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-Fulfilling Features," NBER Working Papers 5285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-fulfilling Features," CEPR Discussion Papers 1315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1993. "Moderate Inflation," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger*Fischer, Stanley, 1991. "Moderate inflation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 807, The World Bank.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Stanley Fischer, 1991. "Moderate Inflation," NBER Working Papers 3896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amato, Jeffery D. & Gerlach, Stefan, 2002. "Inflation targeting in emerging market and transition economies: Lessons after a decade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 781-790, May.
- Amato, Jeffery D. & Gerlach, Stefan, 2001. "Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market and Transition Economies: Lessons After a Decade," CEPR Discussion Papers 3074, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffery D. Amato & Stefan Gerlach, 2001. "Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market and Transition Economies: Lessons after a Decade," Working Papers 132001, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Jean‐Paul Azam, 2001. "Inflation and Macroeconomic Instability in Madagascar," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 13(2), pages 175-201.
- Jean-Paul Azam, 2001. "Inflation and macroeconomic instability in Madagascar," CSAE Working Paper Series 2001-02, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Azam, Jean-Paul, 1999. "Institutions for Macroeconomic Stability in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(0), pages 6-29, December.
- Drugeon, Jean-Pierre & Wigniolle, Bertrand, 1996. "Continuous-Time Sunspot Equilibria and Dynamics in a Model of Growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 24-52, April.
- Michael Bruno & Stanley Fischer, 1990. "Seigniorage, Operating Rules, and the High Inflation Trap," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 353-374.
- Woodford, Michael, 1986. "Stationary sunspot equilibria in a finance constrained economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 128-137, October.
- Randa, John, 1999. "Economic Reform and the Stability of the Demand for Money in Tanzania," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(3), pages 307-344, October.
- corrinne ho & robert n mccauley, 2004. "Living with flexible exchange rates:," International Finance 0411003, EconWPA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2005:y:2005:i:2:id:261:p:171-179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.