Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market and Transition Economies: Lessons after a Decade
Starting in the early 1990s, several emerging market and transition economies (EMEs) have adopted inflation targeting (IT). In this paper we discuss a number of issues that arise in this context: (a) the definition of IT, (b) the role of preconditions for IT, (c) the use of intermediate exchange rate targets, and (d) the specification of inflation targets. Our overall conclusion is that, suitably modified, IT is a useful policy strategy for EMEs.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andres Velasco & Roberto Chang, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Policy for Developing Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 71-75, May.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2000.
"Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
7618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001.
"One decade of inflation targeting in the world : What do we know and what do we need to know?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
101, Central Bank of Chile.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001. "One Decade of Inflation Targeting in the World: What Do We Know and What Do We Need to Know?," NBER Working Papers 8397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor, 2002.
"Monetary Policy under Flexible Exchange Rates: An Introduction to Inflation Targeting,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.), Inflation Targeting: Desing, Performance, Challenges, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 3, pages 079-170
Central Bank of Chile.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard, 2000. "Monetary policy under flexible exchange rates - an introduction to inflation targeting," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2511, The World Bank.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor, 2001. "Monetary Policy Under Flexible Exchange Rates: an Introduction to Inflation Targeting," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 124, Central Bank of Chile.
- leiderman, L. & Bufman, G., 1996. "Searching for Nominal Anchors in Shock-Prone Economies in the 1990s: Inflation Targets and Exchange Rate Bands," Papers 15-96, Tel Aviv.
- Mishkin, Frederic S, 1998. "The Dangers of Exchange-Rate Pegging in Emerging-Market Countries," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 81-101, October.
- Mishkin, Frederic S. & Savastano, Miguel A., 2001.
"Monetary policy strategies for Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2685, The World Bank.
- Eichengreen, B. & Masson, P. & Savastano, M. & Sharma, S., 1999. "Transition Strategies and Nominal Anchors on the Road to Greater Exchange-Rate Flexibility," Princeton Essays in International Economics 213, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Miguel A Savastano & Paul R Masson & Sunil Sharma, 1997. "The Scope for Inflation Targeting in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 97/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Guy Debelle & Miguel A Savastano & Paul R Masson & Sunil Sharma, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Framework for Monetary Policy," IMF Economic Issues 15, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Feldstein, 1999. "The Costs and Benefits of Price Stability," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feld99-1.
- Leonardo Leiderman & Hadas Bar-Or, 2000. "Monetary Policy Rules and Transmission Mechanisms Under Inflation Targeting in Israel," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 71, Central Bank of Chile.
- G. C. Lim & Guy Debelle, 1998. "Preliminary Considerations of an Inflation Targeting Framework for the Philippines," IMF Working Papers 98/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Feldstein, 1999. "Introduction to "Costs and Benefits of Price Stability, The"," NBER Chapters, in: The Costs and Benefits of Price Stability, pages 1-8 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:132001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.