Macro level Determinants of Poverty: Investigation Through Poverty Mapping of Districts of Pakistan
The study explores the spatial patterns of poverty in Pakistan through two dimensions, asset accumulation and basic needs. For this purpose Pakistan Standard of Living Measurement 08-09 is employed to construct an Asset Index and a Basic Needs index, at a district level, through the use of household level indicators. The study finds a clear north south divide, with particular concentration of better off districts in the north east of the country. Additionally, regression analysis is carried out to help identify the macro level factors contributing towards the observed pattern. Results reveal infrastructural and industrial development to be significant factors behind a district‘s well-being. This indicates that public policy directed towards developing deprived districts should be cantered on these factors, specifically expanding road networks, and incentives for industrial development in those districts.
Volume (Year): 50 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaas de Vos & M. Asghar Zaidi, 2001.
"Trends in consumption-based poverty and inequality in the European Union during the 1980s,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 14(2), pages 367-390.
- Zaidi, M.A. & De Vos, K., 2000. "Trends in Consumption-Based Poverty and Inequality in the European Union During the 1980s," Economics Series Working Papers 9935, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- M. Asghar Zaidi & Klaas de Vos, 2000. "Trends in Consumption-Based Poverty and Inequality in the European Union During the 1980s," Economics Series Working Papers 35, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Booysen, Frikkie & van der Berg, Servaas & Burger, Ronelle & Maltitz, Michael von & Rand, Gideon du, 2008. "Using an Asset Index to Assess Trends in Poverty in Seven Sub-Saharan African Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1113-1130, June.
- Salman Syed Ali & Sayyid Tahir, 1999. "Dynamics of Growth, Poverty, and Inequality in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 837-858.
- Dariush Hayati & Ezatollah Karami & Bill Slee, 2006. "Combining Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in the Measurement of Rural Poverty: The Case of Iran," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 75(3), pages 361-394, 02.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1996. "Issues in Measuring and Modelling Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1328-1343, September.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1996. "Issues in measuring and modeling poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1615, The World Bank.
- Shahnawaz Malik, 1996. "Determinants of Rural Poverty in Pakistan: A Micro Study," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 171-187.
- Rupasingha, Anil & Goetz, Stephan J., 2007. "Social and political forces as determinants of poverty: A spatial analysis," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 650-671, August.
- Lucio Esposito & Enrica Chiappero Martinetti, 2010. "Multidimensional poverty: Restricted and unrestricted hierarchy among poverty dimensions," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 13, pages 181-204, November.
- Haroon Jamal & Amir Jahan Khan, 2003. "The Changing Profile of Regional Inequality," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 113-123.
- Haroon Jamal, 2005. "In Search of Poverty Predictors: The Case of Urban and Rural Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(1), pages 37-55.
- Rashid Amjad & A.R. Kemal, 1997. "Macroeconomic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 39-68. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:50:y:2011:i:4:p:895-911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.