Interest Rate Pass-through in Pakistan: Evidence from Transfer Function Approach
This paper empirically investigates the pass-through of the changes in the interest rate on Treasury bills in Pakistan to money market rate (call money rate), banks’ deposit rate, and banks’ lending rate. The motivation for the study is that the effectiveness of the monetary policy transmission mechanism hinges upon the speed and extent of the pass-through of the policy rate to the individual elements of the transmission mechanism. Call money rate, banks’ deposit rate, and banks’ lending rate, being important elements of the monetary transmission mechanism, the examination of the pass-through to these rates will shed light on the effectiveness of the monetary transmission mechanism. The results are, by and large, in conformity with the literature on the pass-through: pass-through of the changes in the treasury bill rate tocall money is completed in the impact period, i.e., one month. The pass-through to savings deposit rate starts during the first six months and continues for quite long. In the case of six-months deposit rate and the lending rate, no pass-through is noticed during the first six-months. The pass-through occurs between 1.5-3 years in both the cases.
Volume (Year): 44 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don Bredin & Trevor Fitzpatrick & Gerard O Reilly, 2002.
"Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through - The Irish Experience,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(2), pages 223-246.
- Bredin, Don & Fitzpatrick, Trevor & O'Reilly, Gerard, 2001. "Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through: The Irish Experience," Research Technical Papers 6/RT/01, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2000. "Financial structure and the interest rate channel of ECB monetary policy," Working Paper Series 0040, European Central Bank.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1995. "Symposium on the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 3-10, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:44:y:2005:i:4:p:975-1001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.