Determining Pak Rupee Exchange Rates vis-à-vis Six Currencies of the Industrial World: Some Evidence Based on the Traditional Flow Model
Pak-rupee exchange rates vis-à-vis many currencies of the industrial world have weakened continuously and persistently since Pakistan abandoned fixed exchange rates in April 1982. This proposition is strongly supported by descriptive test statistics, as shown in Table 1, such as mean, standard deviation and coefficient of variation of six Pak rupee exchange rates—against the U.S. dollar, British pound, German mark, Japanese yen, Swiss franc and French franc—over the period 1982q1-2000q4. Based on these descriptive statistics, it is evident that Pak rupee has depreciated persistently against all currencies of the industrial countries in question over the period under investigation; for example, it has depreciated by 324.05 percent against the British pound, 406.360 percent against the U.S. dollar, 344.53 percent against the French franc, 498.48 percent against the Swiss franc, 477.78 percent against the German mark and 986.25 percent against the Japanese yen since April 1982. As evidenced by coefficient of variation, Pak rupee has weakened enormously against all currencies of the industrial world, while it has weakened relatively more alarmingly against the Japanese yen, Swiss franc and German mark.
Volume (Year): 40 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Mundell, 1962. "The Appropriate Use of Monetary and Fiscal Policy for Internal and External Stability," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 70-79, March.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1984.
"Balance-of-Payments Crises and Devaluation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(2), pages 208-17, May.
- Douglas K. Pearce, 1983. "Alternative views of exchange-rate determination," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Feb, pages 16-30.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976.
" The Theory of Flexible Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Policy,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 255-75.
- R. Dornbusch, 1975. "The Theory of Flexible Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Policy," Working papers 165, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don, 1977. "A Monetary Model of Exchange Market Pressure Applied to the Postwar Canadian Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 537-48, September.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Hooper, Peter & Morton, John, 1982. "Fluctuations in the dollar: A model of nominal and real exchange rate determination," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 39-56, January.
- Frenkel, Jacob A, 1976. " A Monetary Approach to the Exchange Rate: Doctrinal Aspects and Empirical Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 200-224.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1979. "On the Mark: A Theory of Floating Exchange Rates Based on Real Interest Differentials," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 610-22, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:40:y:2001:i:4:p:885-897. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.