The Usefulness Of Chilean Inflation Accounting
This study examines the usefulness to investors of the “monetary correction” (corrección monetaria) required under Chilean accounting standards. The monetary correction arises when nonmonetary assets and liabilities and owners’ equity are restated for changes in the purchasing power of the Chilean peso, and when assets and liabilities denominated in other currencies are restated for changes in the exchange rate between that currency and the Chilean peso. We provide three separate sets of empirical results that examine the relation between the monetary correction and both unexpected returns and security prices, conditional on the remainder of reported earnings. Taken together, the results suggest that the monetary correction provides useful information for investors.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://eacc10.puc.cl/RePEc/pch/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas K. Pearce & V. Vance Roley, 1987.
"Firm Characteristics, Unanticipated Inflation, and Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
2366, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pearce, Douglas K & Roley, V Vance, 1988. " Firm Characteristics, Unanticipated Inflation, and Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 965-81, September.
- V. Vance Roley & Douglas K. Pearce, 1988. "Firm characteristics, unanticipated inflation, and stock returns," Research Working Paper 88-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. " The Effect of Interest Rate Changes on the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1141-53, September.
- Bernard, Victor L., 1986. "Unanticipated inflation and the value of the firm," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 285-321, March.
- Kothari, S. P. & Zimmerman, Jerold L., 1995. "Price and return models," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 155-192, September.
- French, Kenneth R & Ruback, Richard S & Schwert, G William, 1983. "Effects of Nominal Contracting on Stock Returns," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 70-96, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pch:abante:v:8:y:2005:i:1:p:85-118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gimena Pardo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.