A Simple, Consistent Estimator For Disturbance Components In Financial Models
Many recent papers have estimated components of the disturbance term in the "market model" of equity returns. In particular, several studies of regulatory changes and other policy events have decomposed the event effects in order to allow for heterogeneity across firms. In this paper we demonstrate that the econometric method applied in some papers yields biased and inconsistent estimates of the model parameters. We demonstrate the consistency of a simple and easily-implemented alternative method.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iies.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borenstein, Severin & Zimmerman, Martin B, 1988. "Market Incentives for Safe Commercial Airline Operation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 913-35, December.
- French, Kenneth R & Ruback, Richard S & Schwert, G William, 1983. "Effects of Nominal Contracting on Stock Returns," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 70-96, February.
- Gene M. Grossman & James A. Levinsohn, 1987.
"Import Competition and the Stock Market Return to Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
2420, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M & Levinsohn, James A, 1989. "Import Competition and the Stock Market Return to Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1065-87, December.
- MacKie-Mason, Jeffrey K, 1990.
" Do Taxes Affect Corporate Financing Decisions?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1471-93, December.
- Pearce, Douglas K & Roley, V Vance, 1988.
" Firm Characteristics, Unanticipated Inflation, and Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 965-81, September.
- V. Vance Roley & Douglas K. Pearce, 1988. "Firm characteristics, unanticipated inflation, and stock returns," Research Working Paper 88-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Douglas K. Pearce & V. Vance Roley, 1987. "Firm Characteristics, Unanticipated Inflation, and Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 2366, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Mitchell, Mark L & Maloney, Michael T, 1989. "Crisis in the Cockpit? The Role of Market Forces in Promoting Air Travel Safety," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages 329-55, October.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1972. "Capital Markets: Theory and Evidence," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 3(2), pages 357-398, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:stocin:443. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.