Internal Capital Markets And Multimarket Contact As Explanations For Conglomerates In Emerging Markets
This paper reviews some of the main reasons found in the literature to explain the diversification decisions of firms and analyzes their relevance for firms located in emerging markets. This analysis is interesting because casual observation shows that large and diversified conglomerates still exist in developed economies and probably are the dominant type of enterprise in emerging markets. We conclude that two important reasons that may explain the existence of large diversified conglomerates in emerging markets are the creation and development of «internal capital markets» and the «market power» obtained through «multimarket contact». Because of their potential importance, these reasons are examined in depth in the paper.
Volume (Year): 2 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://eacc10.puc.cl/RePEc/pch/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gertner, Robert H & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1994.
"Internal versus External Capital Markets,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1211-30, November.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolás Majluf & Nureya Abarca & Darío Rodríguez & Luis Arturo Fuentes, 1998. "Governance And Ownership Structure In Chilean Economic Groups," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 1(1), pages 111-139.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-66, September.
- Berger, Philip G. & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Diversification's effect on firm value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 39-65, January.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Larry H.P. Lang & Rene M. Stulz, 1993.
"Tobin's Q, Corporate Diversification and Firm Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
4376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lang, Larry H P & Stulz, Rene M, 1994. "Tobin's q, Corporate Diversification, and Firm Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1248-80, December.
- Stein, Jeremy C, 1989. "Efficient Capital Markets, Inefficient Firms: A Model of Myopic Corporate Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 655-69, November.
- Angus Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1998.
"Economies of Scale, Household Size, and the Demand for Food,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 897-930, October.
- Deaton, A. & Paxson, C., 1997. "Economies of Scale, Household Size, and the Demand for Food," Papers 178, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Comment, Robert & Jarrell, Gregg A., 1995. "Corporate focus and stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 67-87, January.
- Servaes, Henri, 1996. " The Value of Diversification during the Conglomerate Merger Wave," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1201-25, September.
- Donaldson, Gordon, 1990. "Voluntary restructuring : The case of General Mills," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 117-141, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pch:abante:v:2:y:1999:i:1:p:3-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gimena Pardo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.