A Comparison of Bancassurance and Traditional Insurer Sales Channels
Although various sales channels exist for insurance products, no existing research compares their sales efficiency. This study offers a comparison of bancassurance and traditional sales channels in Taiwan. Using a data envelopment analysis approach, this study first computes the efficiencies of bancassurance and traditional sales channels separately. The efficiency score of the traditional sales channel is significantly higher than that of a comparable bancassurance channel. Furthermore, the efficiency relationship between the bancassurance and the traditional sales channels is independent. These findings have significant implications for the insurance industry and ongoing research in this field.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
Postal:Route de Malagnou 53, CH - 1208 Geneva
Phone: +41-22 707 66 00
Fax: +41-22 736 75 36
Web page: https://www.genevaassociation.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/finance/journal/41288/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fields, L. Paige & Fraser, Donald R. & Kolari, James W., 2007. "Bidder returns in bancassurance mergers: Is there evidence of synergy?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3646-3662, December.
- Wu, Ziping & Merlean, Seamus, 2003. "Market efficiency in the reformed Chinese grain marketing system," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 115-130.
- Berger, Allen N & Cummins, J David & Weiss, Mary A, 1997.
"The Coexistence of Multiple Distribution Systems for Financial Services: The Case of Property-Liability Insurance,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(4), pages 515-546, October.
- Allen N. Berger & J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss, 1995. "The coexistence of multiple distribution systems for financial services: the case of property-liability insurance," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss, 1995. "The Coexistence of Multiple Distributions Systems for Financial Services: The Case of Property-Liability Insurance," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-13, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Hughes, Joseph P. & Lang, William W. & Mester, Loretta J. & Moon, Choon-Geol, 1999. "The dollars and sense of bank consolidation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 291-324, February.
- Joseph P. Hughes & William W. Lang & Loretta J. Mester, 1998. "The dollars and sense of bank consolidation," Working Papers 98-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Joseph P. Hughes & William Lang & Loretta J. Mester & Choon-Geol Moon, 1998. "The Dollars and Sense of Bank Consolidation," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Cummins, J. David & Tennyson, Sharon & Weiss, Mary A., 1999. "Consolidation and efficiency in the US life insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 325-357, February.
- J. David Cummins & Sharon Tennsyson & Mary A. Weiss, 1998. "Consolidation and efficiency in the U.S. life insurance industry," Working Papers 98-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- J. David Cummins & Sharon Tennyson & Mary A. Weiss, 1998. "Consolidation and Efficiency in the U.S. Life Insurance Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-08, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Tone, Kaoru & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2005. "Evaluating cost efficiency and returns to scale in the Life Insurance Corporation of India using data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 261-285, December.
- Abdullah Mamun & M. Kabir Hassan & Neal Maroney, 2005. "The Wealth and Risk Effects of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) on the US Banking Industry," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1-2), pages 351-388.
- Jerzmanowski, Michal, 2007. "Total factor productivity differences: Appropriate technology vs. efficiency," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 2080-2110, November.
- Vine, Edward & Hamrin, Jan & Eyre, Nick & Crossley, David & Maloney, Michelle & Watt, Greg, 2003. "Public policy analysis of energy efficiency and load management in changing electricity businesses," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 405-430, April.
- Lucinda Trigo-Gamarra, 2008. "Reasons for the Coexistence of Different Distribution Channels: An Empirical Test for the German Insurance Market," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 33(3), pages 389-407, July.
- Boubakri, Narjess & Dionne, Georges & Triki, Thouraya, 2008. "Consolidation and value creation in the insurance industry: The role of governance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 56-68, January.
- Narjess Boubakri & Georges Dionne & Thouraya Triki, 2006. "Consolidation and Value Creation in the Insurance Industry: the Role of Governance," Cahiers de recherche 0626, CIRPEE.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 2005. "Racial Profiling as a Public Policy Question: Efficiency, Equity, and Ambiguity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 132-136, May.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2005. "Racial profiling as a public policy question : efficiency, equity, and ambiguity," Working papers 1, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- McKillop, Donal G. & Glass, J. Colin & Morikawa, Yukio, 1996. "The composite cost function and efficiency in giant Japanese banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1651-1671, December.
- Patrick L. Brockett & William W. Cooper & Linda L. Golden & John J. Rousseau & Yuying Wang, 2005. "Financial Intermediary Versus Production Approach to Efficiency of Marketing Distribution Systems and Organizational Structure of Insurance Companies," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(3), pages 393-412.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Bernhard Mahlberg & Thomas Url, 2003. "Effects of the single market on the Austrian insurance industry," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 813-838, November.
- Bernhard Mahlberg & Thomas Url, "undated". "Effects of the Single Market on the Austrian Insurance Industry," WIFO Working Papers 97, WIFO.
- Shujie Yao & Chunxia Jiang & Genfu Feng & Dirk Willenbockel, 2007. "WTO challenges and efficiency of Chinese banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 629-643.
- Joong, K.W. & mayers, D. & Smith, C.V., 1996. "On the Choice of Insurance Distribution Systems," The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management 96-15, The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management. University of California Riverside.
- Kao, Chiang & Hwang, Shiuh-Nan, 2008. "Efficiency decomposition in two-stage data envelopment analysis: An application to non-life insurance companies in Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(1), pages 418-429, February.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- I. García-Sánchez, 2007. "Efficiency and effectiveness of Spanish football teams: a three-stage-DEA approach," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer;Slovak Society for Operations Research;Hungarian Operational Research Society;Czech Society for Operations Research;Österr. Gesellschaft für Operations Research (ÖGOR);Slovenian Society Informatika - Section for Operational Research;Croatian Operational Research Society, vol. 15(1), pages 21-45, March.
- Keh, Hean Tat & Chu, Singfat & Xu, Jiye, 2006. "Efficiency, effectiveness and productivity of marketing in services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 265-276, April.
- Vivian Jeng & Gene C. Lai & Michael J. McNamara, 2007. "Efficiency and Demutualization: Evidence From the U.S. Life Insurance Industry in the 1980s and 1990s," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(3), pages 683-711. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:gpprii:v:36:y:2011:i:1:p:76-93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.