From a Currency Board to the Euro: Public Attitudes Toward Unilateral Euroisation in Bulgaria1
Bulgaria has operated a currency board since 1997. It is expected to join the European Union in 2007 and the European Monetary Union (EMU) thereafter. This paper analyses public attitudes toward adoption of the euro in advance of EMU membership and offers unique evidence on the political economy of a move from a currency peg to euroisation The support for early euroisation reflects concerns about currency devaluation and the perception that the euro is already widely used in the economy. The opposition derives primarily from attachment to the national currency. Comparative Economic Studies (2006) 48, 480–496. doi:10.1057/palgrave.ces.8100124
Volume (Year): 48 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Jeffrey B Miller, 2001. "The Bulgarian Currency Board," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 53-74, April.
- Adalbert Winkler & Francesco Mazzaferro & Carolin Nerlich & Christian Thimann, 2004. "Official dollarisation/euroisation - motives, features and policy implications of current cases," Occasional Paper Series 11, European Central Bank.
- Boris Vujcic, 2004. "Euro adoption: views from the third row," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(1), pages 159-176, March.
- Collins, Susan M., 1996. "On becoming more flexible: Exchange rate regimes in Latin America and the Caribbean," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 117-138, October.
- Dobrinsky, Rumen, 2000. "The Transition Crisis in Bulgaria," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(5), pages 581-602, September.
- Vladimir Klyuev, 2002. "Exchange Rate Regime Choice in Central and Eastern European Transitional Economies," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(4), pages 85-117, December.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1996. "The Determinants of the Choice between Fixed and Flexible Exchange-Rate Regimes," NBER Working Papers 5756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corrinne Ho, 2002. "A survey of the institutional and operational aspects of modern-day currency boards," BIS Working Papers 110, Bank for International Settlements.
- Thomas D. Willett, . "Some Political Economy Aspects of EMU," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-17, Claremont Colleges.
- Fabrizio Coricelli, 2002. "Exchange rate policy during transition to the European Monetary Union: The option of euroization," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(2), pages 405-417, July.
- Willett, Thomas D., 2000. "Some Political Economy Aspects of EMU," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 379-389, May.
- John Williamson, 1995.
"What Role of Currency Boards?,"
Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa40.
- Daniel Gros, 2002. "The euro for the Balkans?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(2), pages 491-511, July.
- Kinder, Donald R. & Kiewiet, D. Roderick, 1981. "Sociotropic Politics: The American Case," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 129-161, April.
- Neven T. Valev & John A. Carlson, 2004.
"Beliefs about Exchange-Rate Stability: Survey Evidence From the Currency Board in Bulgaria,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2004-705, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Neven T. Valev & John A. Carlson, 2007. "Beliefs about Exchange-Rate Stability: Survey Evidence from the Currency Board in Bulgaria," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 111-121.
- Neven Valev & John A. Carlson, 2004. "Beliefs about Exchange-Rate Stability: Survey Evidence from the Currency Board in Bulgaria," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0424, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- D. Mario Nuti, 2002. "Costs and benefits of unilateral euroization in central eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(2), pages 419-444, July.
- Anne Sulling, 2002. "Should Estonia euroize?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(2), pages 469-490, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:compes:v:48:y:2006:i:3:p:480-496. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.