The Explanatory Power of Monetary Policy Rules
Over the past 20 years, the use of monetary policy rules has become pervasive in analyzing and prescribing monetary policy. This paper traces the development of such rules and their use in the analysis, prediction, and stabilization of national economies. In particular, rules provide insight into eras in which monetary policy was not effective as well as when it was, such as the persistence of the ongoing “Great Moderation.” The paper stresses the “scientific” contributions of rules, including their insight into fluctuations of housing construction and exchange rates, as well as into the term structure of interest rates.Business Economics (2007) 42, 8–15; doi:10.2145/20070401
Volume (Year): 42 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Ang & Sen Dong, 2005.
"No-Arbitrage Taylor Rules,"
2005 Meeting Papers
22, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Fuhrer, Jeffrey C, 1996. "Monetary Policy Shifts and Long-Term Interest Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1183-1209, November.
- John P. Judd & Bharat Trehan, 1995. "Has the Fed gotten tougher on inflation?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue mar31.
- Charles Engel & Nelson C. Mark & Kenneth D. West, 2008.
"Exchange Rate Models Are Not As Bad As You Think,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2007, Volume 22, pages 381-441
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & Kenneth D. West, 2004.
"Taylor Rules and the Deutschmark-Dollar Real Exchange Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
10995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles & West, Kenneth D., 2006. "Taylor Rules and the Deutschmark: Dollar Real Exchange Rate," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1175-1194, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:buseco:v:42:y:2007:i:4:p:8-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daniel Foley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.