Irrelevance of the choice of strategic variables in duopoly under relative profit maximization
We study the choice of strategic variables by firms in a duopoly in which two firms produce differentiated substitutable goods and each firm maximizes its relative profit that is the difference between its profit and the profit of the rival firm. We consider a two stage game such that in the first stage the firms choose their strategic variables and in the second stage they determine the values of their strategic variables. We show that when the firms maximize their relative profits, the choice of strategic variables is irrelevant to the outcome of the game in the sense that the equilibrium outputs, prices and profits of the firms are the same in all situations, and so any combination of strategy choice by the firms constitutes a sub-game perfect equilibrium in the two stage game. We assume that demand functions for the goods are symmetric and linear, the marginal costs of the firms are common and constant, and the fixed costs are zero.
Volume (Year): 2 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda del Cristo s/n, 33006 Oviedo|
Phone: 985 10 37 45
Fax: 985 10 48 71
Web page: https://www.unioviedo.es/reunido/index.php/EBL/index
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Efe A. Ok & Levent KoÚkesen, 2000.
"Negatively interdependent preferences,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 17(3), pages 533-558.
- Kockesen, Levent & Ok, Efe A., 1997. "Negatively Interdependent Preferences," Working Papers 97-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Yasuhito Tanaka, 2013. "Equivalance of Cournot and Bertrand equilibria in differentiated duopoly under relative profit maximization with linear demand," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1479-1486.
- Tanaka, Yasuhito, 2014. "Equivalance of Cournot and Bertrand equilibria in differentiated duopoly under relative profit maximization with linear demand," MPRA Paper 55890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schaffer, Mark E., 1989. "Are profit-maximisers the best survivors? : A Darwinian model of economic natural selection," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, August.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima & Susumu Cato, 2009. "Relative Performance and R&D Competition," ISER Discussion Paper 0752, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)