Relative profit maximization and Bertrand equilibrium with quadratic cost functions
We study the Bertrand equilibrium in duopoly in which two firms produce a homogeneous good under quadratic cost functions, and they seek to maximize the weighted sum of their absolute and relative profits. We show that there exists a range of the equilibrium prices in duopolistic equilibria. This range of equilibrium prices is narrower and lower than the range of the equilibrium prices in duopolistic equilibria under pure absolute profit maximization, and the larger the weight on the relative profit, the narrower and lower the range of the equilibrium prices. In this sense relative profit maximization is more aggressive than absolute profit maximization.
Volume (Year): 2 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda del Cristo s/n, 33006 Oviedo|
Phone: 985 10 37 45
Fax: 985 10 48 71
Web page: http://www.unioviedo.es/reunido/index.php/EBL/index
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 1995. "On the Existence of Pure Strategy Bertrand Equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 19-32, January.
- Schaffer, Mark E., 1989. "Are profit-maximisers the best survivors? : A Darwinian model of economic natural selection," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, August.
- Yasuhito Tanaka, 2013.
"Irrelevance of the choice of strategic variables in duopoly under relative profit maximization,"
Economics and Business Letters,
Oviedo University Press, vol. 2(2), pages 75-83.
- Tanaka, Yasuhito, 2014. "Irrelevance of the choice of strategic variables in duopoly under relative profit maximization," MPRA Paper 55891, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Efe A. Ok & Levent KoÚkesen, 2000.
"Negatively interdependent preferences,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 533-558.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Matsushima, Noriaki & Cato, Susumu, 2013. "Competitiveness and R&D competition revisited," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 541-547.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ove:journl:aid:9999. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco J. Delgado)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.