Equivalence of Cournot and Bertrand equilibria in duopoly under relative profit maximization: A general analysis
We study the relationship between Cournot equilibrium and Bertrand equilibrium in duopoly with differentiated goods in which each firm maximizes its relative profit. We show that Cournot equilibrium and Bertrand equilibrium coincide under relative profit maximization even with general demand and cost functions. This result is due to the fact that a game of relative profit maximization in duopoly is a two-person zero-sum game.
Volume (Year): 3 (2016)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Istanbul, Turkey|
Web page: http://www.kspjournals.org
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atsuhiro Satoh & Yasuhito Tanaka, 2013.
"Relative profit maximization and Bertrand equilibrium with quadratic cost functions,"
Economics and Business Letters,
Oviedo University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 134-139.
- Satoh, Atsuhiro & Tanaka, Yasuhito, 2014. "Relative profit maximization and Bertrand equilibrium with quadratic cost functions," MPRA Paper 55893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 1990. "Relative Performance Evaluation for Chief Executive Officers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(3), pages 30, April.
- Kandori, Michihiro & Mailath, George J & Rob, Rafael, 1993. "Learning, Mutation, and Long Run Equilibria in Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 29-56, January.
- Kandori, M. & Mailath, G.J., 1991. "Learning, Mutation, And Long Run Equilibria In Games," Papers 71, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - John M. Olin Program.
- M. Kandori & G. Mailath & R. Rob, 1999. "Learning, Mutation and Long Run Equilibria in Games," Levine's Working Paper Archive 500, David K. Levine.
- Armen A. Alchian, 1950. "Uncertainty, Evolution, and Economic Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 211-211.
- Fernando Vega-Redondo, 1997. "The Evolution of Walrasian Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(2), pages 375-384, March.