The Design and Effects of Monetary Policy in Sub-Saharan African Countries-super- †
Since the 1990s there have been a number of major changes in the design and conduct of monetary policy. In a globalised environment, there is greater need to achieve closer convergence of economic performance among trading partners. As a result, a number of developing countries have adopted exchange rate regimes with more flexibility, and thereby greater scope for monetary policy. Notable examples include a number of Sub-Saharan African countries moving from fixed exchange-rate regimes to more flexible regimes and the adoption of formal or informal inflation targeting regimes by some of these countries. These changes have triggered considerable debate on how monetary policy should be conducted and the effects it has on the real economy. Copyright 2011 The author 2011. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Centre for the Study of African Economies. All rights reserved. For permissions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): suppl_2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.jae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1978. "On the Time Consistency of Optimal Policy in a Monetary Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1411-1428, November.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
"The role of macroeconomic factors in growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 485-512, December.
- Patrick Kehoe & Varadarajan V. Chari, 2006.
"Modern Macroeconomics in Practice: How Theory is Shaping Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
12476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2006. "Modern Macroeconomics in Practice: How Theory Is Shaping Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 3-28, Fall.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2006. "Modern macroeconomics in practice: how theory is shaping policy," Staff Report 376, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2001.
"Fixing for your life,"
13873, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1985.
"Credit Rationing and Effective Supply Failures,"
NBER Working Papers
1619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2004. "Misconceptions Regarding Rules vs. Discretion for Monetary Policy," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 23(3), pages 365-372, Winter.
- McCallum, Bennett T, 2000.
"The Present and Future of Monetary Policy Rules,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 273-286, July.
- Stanley Fischer, 2001. "Exchange Rate Regimes: Is the Bipolar View Correct?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 3-24, Spring.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-491, June.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Abdelhak S. Senhadji, 2003. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: A Review and New Evidence," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(Supplemen), pages 89-110, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:jafrec:v:20:y:2011:i:suppl_2:p:-ii35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.