Place-Based Income Inequality Clusters in the Rural North Central Region, 1979–2009
This analysis identifies and describes clusters of persistently low and high income inequality for N = 7,353 non-metropolitan block-groups in the western part of the North Central Region. Analysis finds more low inequality than high inequality places in the region, but there are also large numbers of rising inequality places. Lower inequality places are found to have poorer demographic and economic outcomes than higher inequality places, contrary to what is found in the literature. Lower inequality places are also found to be more specialized in traditional agricultural and industrial sectors, while higher inequality places are more specialized in higher skilled services industries. Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 33 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://aepp.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dan Rickman, 1998.
"The causes of regional variation in U.S. poverty: A cross-county analysis,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa98p13, European Regional Science Association.
- William Levernier & Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 2000. "The Causes of Regional Variations in U.S. Poverty: A Cross-County Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 473-497.
- Christopher H. Wheeler & Elizabeth A. La Jeunesse, 2008. "Trends In Neighborhood Income Inequality In The U.S.: 1980-2000," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(5), pages 879-891.
- Richard Morrill, 2000. "Geographic variation in change in income inequality among US states, 1970-1990," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 109-130.
- Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 2007. "Persistent Pockets of Extreme American Poverty and Job Growth: Is There a Place-Based Policy Role?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Peter Gottschalk & Timothy M. Smeeding, 1997. "Cross-National Comparisons of Earnings and Income Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 633-687, June.
- Swaminathan, Hema & Findeis, Jill L., 2004. "Policy Intervention And Poverty In Rural America," Working Papers 18914, Oregon State University, Rural Poverty Research Center (RPRC).
- Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S. & Levernier, William, 1996. "Trends in U.S. income inequality: Evidence from a panel of states," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 17-37.
- Crandall, Mindy S. & Weber, Bruce A., 2004. "Local Social And Economic Conditions, Spatial Concentrations Of Poverty, And Poverty Dynamics," Working Papers 18916, Oregon State University, Rural Poverty Research Center (RPRC).
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 2006. "The Geography of American Poverty: Is There a Need for Place-Based Policies?," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number gap, March.
- Mindy S. Crandall & Bruce A. Weber, 2004. "Local Social and Economic Conditions, Spatial Concentrations of Poverty, and Poverty Dynamics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1276-1281.
- David J. Peters, 2009. "Typology of American Poverty," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 32(1), pages 19-39, January.
- Levy, Frank & Murnane, Richard J, 1992. "U.S. Earnings Levels and Earnings Inequality: A Review of Recent Trends and Proposed Explanations," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1333-81, September.
- Belal Fallah & Mark Partridge, 2007. "The elusive inequality-economic growth relationship: are there differences between cities and the countryside?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 375-400, June.
- Hema Swaminathan & Jill L. Findeis, 2004. "Policy Intervention and Poverty in Rural America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1289-1296.
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 2005. "High-Poverty Nonmetropolitan Counties in America: Can Economic Development Help?," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 28(4), pages 415-440, October.
- Bruce Weber & Leif Jensen & Kathleen Miller & Jane Mosley & Monica Fisher, 2005. "A Critical Review of Rural Poverty Literature: Is There Truly a Rural Effect?," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 28(4), pages 381-414, October.
- Levernier, William & Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 1998. "Differences in Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan U.S. Family Income Inequality: A Cross-County Comparison," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 272-290, September.
- George W. Hammond & Eric Thompson, 2006. "Convergence and Mobility: Personal Income Trends in U.S. Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Regions," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 29(1), pages 35-63, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:apecpp:v:33:y:2011:i:2:p:222-240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.