Conference summary: New Zealand's macroeconomic imbalances -- causes and remedies
This article reports on a policy forum sponsored by the New Zealand Treasury, the Reserve Bank of New Zealand, and Victoria University of Wellington on New Zealand’s macroeconomic imbalances. Chief among these imbalances is New Zealand’s large stock of net foreign liabilities, but there are also recurrent concerns about high domestic interest rates, the high exchange rate, and about New Zealand’s relatively poor growth performance. The forum highlighted that both private and public sectors contribute to imbalances, and canvassed a wide array of policies that might help reduce the vulnerabilities that these imbalances entail. Such policies include directly improving the government’s net saving, and using policies to influence private sector saving and investment behaviour.
Volume (Year): 74 (2011)
Issue (Month): (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 2498, Wellington|
Phone: 64 4 471-3767
Fax: 64 4 471-2270
Web page: http://www.rbnz.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. S. Benetrix & P. R. Lane, 2013.
"Fiscal Shocks and the Real Exchange Rate,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(3), pages 6-37, September.
- Agustín S. Bénétrix and Philip R. Lane, 2009. "Fiscal Shocks and The Real Exchange Rate," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp286, IIIS.
- Agustín S. Bénétrix, 2009. "Fiscal Shocks and The Real Exchange Rate," 2009 Meeting Papers 1137, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luca Antonio Ricci & Gian Maria Milesi‐Ferretti & Jaewoo Lee, 2013.
"Real Exchange Rates and Fundamentals: A Cross‐Country Perspective,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(5), pages 845-865, 08.
- Luca A Ricci & Jaewoo Lee & Gian M Milesi-Ferretti, 2008. "Real Exchange Rates and Fundamentals; A Cross-Country Perspective," IMF Working Papers 08/13, International Monetary Fund.
- Seater, John J, 1993. "Ricardian Equivalence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 142-90, March.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo & Wierts, Peter, 2009. "Budgeting versus implementing fiscal policy in the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 7285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzb:nzbbul:sept2011:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.