The Implications Of Tax Asymmetry For U.S. Corporations
This paper examines the implications of the asymmetric treatment of tax losses for U.S. corporations for 1993–2004. We find that partial refunding of tax losses reduces their real values by approximately one-half and produces modest effective tax rate differentials between taxable and non-taxable firms. However, if firms use debt financing or utilize an investment tax credit, then rate differentials can be significant. We also find that certain industries and younger firms disproportionately bear the negative consequences of partial refunding, due to either delayed realization or the inability to use tax losses to offset prior or future profits.
Volume (Year): 63 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (202) 737-7308
Web page: http://www.ntanet.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooper, Michael & Knittel, Matthew, 2006. "Partial Loss Refundability: How Are Corporate Tax Losses Used?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 59(3), pages 651-63, September.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1986.
"The Dynamic Effects of Tax Law Asymmetries,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 205-25, April.
- Altshuler, Rosanne & Auerbach, Alan J, 1990.
"The Significance of Tax Law Asymmetries: An Empirical Investigation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 61-86, February.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Alan J. Auerbach, 1987. "The Significance of Tax Law Asymmetries: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 2279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1994. "A Reconsideration of Investment Behavior Using Tax Reforms as Natural Experiments," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 1-74.
- Cordes, Joseph J & Sheffrin, Steven M, 1983. " Estimating the Tax Advantage of Corporate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 95-105, March.
- Mintz, Jack M, 1988. "An Empirical Estimate of Corporate Tax Refundability and Effective Tax Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 225-31, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ntj:journl:v:63:y:2010:i:1:p:33-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.