O crescimento econômico dos municípios mineiros tem sido pró-pobre? Uma análise para o período 1991-2000 [Has economic growth in the municipalities of Minas Gerais been pro-poor? An analysis for the period 1991-2000]
The main goal of this paper is to analyze the relation between economic growth and poverty from a qualitative point of view. In other words, it seeks to analyze how economic growth in Minas Gerais municipalities proved to be an efficient mechanism of poverty reduction between 1991-2000. Results showed diversity in the state of Minas Gerais. There are regions with good quality of economic growth, where "poverty-growth" elasticity is high; that is, there is a greater capacity to reduce poverty for a determined growth rate. This result is explained not only for lower intensity of poverty, but also for greater impact of economic growth on the poor, that is, "quality" of city growth. On the other hand, there are regions with low quality of economic growth where "poverty-growth" elasticity is low. Finally, trends of socioeconomic characteristics of each of the four economic growth classes were analyzed.
Volume (Year): 18 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +55 31 3409-7000
Web page: http://www.face.ufmg.br/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 - Predio da FACE Belo Horizonte, 31270-901 Brazil|
Web: http://www.face.ufmg.br/novaeconomia/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Helger Marra Lopes & Paulo Brígido Rocha Macedo & Ana Flávia Machado, 2003. "Indicador de pobreza: aplicação de uma abordagem multidimensional ao caso brasileiro," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td223, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Birdsall, Nancy & Londono, Juan Luis, 1997. "Asset Inequality Matters: An Assessment of the World Bank's Approach to Poverty Reduction," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 32-37, May.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1997.
"Can high-inequality developing countries escape absolute poverty?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1775, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Can high-inequality developing countries escape absolute poverty?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 51-57, September.
- Roland Benabou, 1996.
"Inequality and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5658, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1993.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52, January.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Jaypee Sevilla, 2001. "The Effect of Health on Economic Growth: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 8587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani & Alesina, Alberto, 1994.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
4551798, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Deininger, Klaus & Olinto, Pedro, 2000. "Asset distribution, inequality, and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2375, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav, 2002. "Why has economic growth been more pro-poor in some states of India than others?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 381-400, August.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav, 1999. "When is growth pro-poor? Evidence from the diverse experiences of India's states," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2263, The World Bank.
- Son, Hyun Hwa, 2004. "A note on pro-poor growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 307-314, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nov:artigo:v:18:y:2008:i:1:p:119-154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sibelle Diniz)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Sibelle Diniz to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.