On the welfare implications of temporary and permanent immigration
This paper uses a two-sector model of a fully-employed open economy, producing traded and nontraded goods, to examine how temporary and permanent immigration affect the host country. The focus is on the implications for welfare, factor rewards, and relative prices of traded goods in terms of non-traded goods. What distinguishes temporary from permanent migrants in the present setting is their pattern of consumption, the bundle of productive factors they bring to the host country, and the magnitude of remittances they send back to the source country. Due to these differences, admitting a temporary rather than a permanent migrant is shown to reduce the scarcity of labour relative to capital, raise the relative price of traded goods in terms of non-traded goods, and improve the level of welfare of the native population in the host country.
Volume (Year): 40 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 00-919 Warszawa ul. Świętokrzyska 11/21|
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.bankikredyt.nbp.pl/menu_en.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2005.
"The Savings Behavior of Temporary and Permanent Migrants in Germany,"
RWI Discussion Papers
29, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Thomas Bauer & Mathias Sinning, 2011. "The savings behavior of temporary and permanent migrants in Germany," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 24(2), pages 421-449, April.
- Bauer, Thomas & Sinning, Mathias, 2005. "The Savings Behaviour of Temporary and Permanent Migrants in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 5102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2005. "The Savings Behavior of Temporary and Permanent Migrants in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1632, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:zbw:rwidps:0029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dustmann, Christian & Mestres, Josep, 2010.
"Remittances and temporary migration,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 62-70, May.
- Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L., 1982. "International migration, non-traded goods and economic welfare in the source country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 81-90, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbp:nbpbik:v:40:y:2009:i:5:p:49-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sylwia Roszkowska)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.