The Savings Behavior of Temporary and Permanent Migrants in Germany
This paper examines the relative savings position of migrant households in West Germany, paying particular attention to differences between temporary and permanent migrants.Our findings reveal significant differences in the savings rates between foreign-born and German-born individuals. These differences disappear, however, for temporary migrants, if their remittances are taken into account. The results of a decomposition analysis indicate that differences in the savings rate between Germans and foreigners can mainly be attributed to differences in observable characteristics.We do not find strong evidence for an adjustment of the savings rate between immigrants and natives over time.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher D. Carroll & Byung-Kun Rhee & Changyong Rhee, 1998.
"Does Cultural Origin Affect Saving Behavior? Evidence from Immigrants,"
NBER Working Papers
6568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carroll, Christopher D & Rhee, Byung-Kun & Rhee, Changyong, 1999. "Does Cultural Origin Affect Saving Behavior? Evidence from Immigrants," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(1), pages 33-50, October.
- Christopher D Carroll & Byung-Kun Rhee & Changyong Rhee, 1998. "Does Cultural Origin Affect Saving Behaviour? Evidence From Immigrants," Economics Working Paper Archive 401, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- James Tobin, 1956. "Estimation of Relationships for Limited Dependent Variables," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 3R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Borjas, George J, 1987.
"Self-Selection and the Earnings of Immigrants,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 531-53, September.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Susan Pozo, 2002. "Precautionary Saving by Young Immigrants and Young Natives," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 48-71, July.
- Shamsuddin, Abul F M & DeVoretz, Don J, 1998. "Wealth Accumulation of Canadian and Foreign-Born Households in Canada," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(4), pages 515-33, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:dpaper:0029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.