The Effects of the Exchange Rate on Japanese Firms' Investment: An Analysis with Firm-Level Data
Although the effects of the exchange rate on firms' investment were mostly analyzed with semi-macro data by industry, in recent years analyses using firm-level panel data have been developed. Nucci and Pozzolo (2001) analyzed using Italian firm-level panel data and reported that an appreciation of the exchange rate has a negative effect on firms' investment as its export ratio is higher, whereas it has a positive effect on firms' investment as their import ratio is higher. Furthermore, the effects of the appreciation of the exchange rate on investment are stronger in firms with low market power and facing the financial constraints. This paper analyzes the effects of an appreciation of the yen on investment with Japanese firm-level panel data, and a similar result to Nucci and Pozzolo's (2001) was obtained. It also conducted a simulation using the empirical results and showed, in five industries with high export ratio, the real investment decreases by 0.45% to 0.95% point to 1% point appreciation of the real effective exchange rate, whereas in the industry of petroleum products and coal products, real investment increases by 1.36% point to 1% point appreciation of the real effective exchange rate.
Volume (Year): 8 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.mof.go.jp/pri/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoichi Matsubayashi, 2011.
"Exchange Rate, Expected Profit And Capital Stock Adjustment: Japanese Experience,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 62(2), pages 215-247, 06.
- Yoichi Matsubayashi, 2009. "Exchange Rate, Expected Profit, and Capital Stock Adjustment: Japanese Experience," Discussion Papers 0828, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nucci, F. & Pozzolo, A.F., 1998. "Investment and the Exchange Rate," Papers 344, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Francesco Nucci & Alberto Pozzolo, 1998. "Investment and the Exchange Rate," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 344, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Campa, Jose & Goldberg, Linda S., 1995. "Investment in manufacturing, exchange rates and external exposure," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 297-320, May.
- Goldberg, L.S. & Campa, J., 1993. "Investment in Manufacturing, Exchange-Rate and External Exposure," Working Papers 93-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1993. "Investment in Manufacturing, Exchange-Rates and External Exposure," NBER Working Papers 4378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S, 1999. "Investment, Pass-Through, and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Comparison," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 287-314, May.
- Kazuo Ogawa, 2003. "Financial Distress and Corporate Investment: The Japanese Case in the 90s," ISER Discussion Paper 0584, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mof:journl:ppr019d. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Policy Research Institute)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.