A Dynamic Theory of Cooperatives: The Link between Efficiency and Valuation
We demonstrate that a multi-period model, and the valuations it implies, is essential for understanding inefficiency in cooperative organizational forms. Investment is efficient given the supply of input, but economic inefficiency arises because of over-supply of input induced by suppliers responding to average, rather than marginal, revenue. We show that inefficiency disappears if the cooperative's shares are priced at the present value of expected dividends and supplier entry and exit decisions are taken on the basis of profitability of membership. This pricing scheme simplifies cooperative governance by lowering transaction costs of governance with heterogeneous suppliers. We describe a functioning example.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 162 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eugene Clark, 1952. "Farmer Cooperatives and Economic Welfare—Rejoinder," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 34(3), pages 404-407.
- Kevin Davis, 2001. "Credit Union Governance and Survival of the Cooperative Form," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 197-210, April.
- Gregory Dow, 1996. "Replicating Walrasian equilibria using markets for membership in labor-managed firms," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 2(1), pages 147-162, December.
- Benham, Lee & Keefer, Philip, 1991. "Voting in Firms: The Role of Agenda Control, Size and Voter Homogeneity," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(4), pages 706-719, October.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2000.
"Pricing and dividend policies in open credit cooperatives,"
2000-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2002. "Pricing and Dividend Policies in Open Credit Cooperatives," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 158(2), pages 234-234, June.
- Harris, Andrea & Stefanson, Brenda & Fulton, Murray E., 1996. "New Generation Cooperatives and Cooperative Theory," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 11, pages -.
- Peter Helmberger & Sidney Hoos, 1962. "Cooperative Enterprise and Organization Theory," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 44(2), pages 275-290.
- Eugene Clark, 1952. "Farmer Cooperatives and Economic Welfare," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 35-51.
- Jensen, Michael C & Meckling, William H, 1979. "Rights and Production Functions: An Application to Labor-managed Firms and Codetermination," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 469-506, October.
- Peter Vitaliano, 1983. "Cooperative Enterprise: An Alternative Conceptual Basis for Analyzing a Complex Institution," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1078-1083.
- Bonin, John P & Jones, Derek C & Putterman, Louis, 1993. "Theoretical and Empirical Studies of Producer Cooperatives: Will Ever the Twain Meet?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1290-1320, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(200606)162:2_364:adtoct_2.0.tx_2-s. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.