Making Work Pay for the Elderly Unemployed - Evaluating Alternative Policy Reforms for Germany
We evaluate three policy reforms targeted at older unemployed people: (i) an hourly wage subsidy, (ii) an in-work credit, and (iii) an employment bonus in the form of subsidized social security contributions on low wages. The work-incentive, labor-supply, and welfare effects of these policy reforms are analyzed on the basis of a behavioral microsimulation model for Germany. We find that the simulated labor-supply effects of the three policy reforms would be rather similar and of moderate size. Our results also suggest that the hourly wage subsidy yields the highest welfare gains.
Volume (Year): 64 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas Ammermüller & Bernhard Boockmann & Michael Maier & Thomas Zwick, 2006. "Eingliederungszuschüsse und Entgeltsicherung für Ältere: Analysen auf Basis natürlicher Experimente," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 75(3), pages 49-66.
- Bargain, Olivier & Orsini, Kristian, 2006.
"In-work policies in Europe: Killing two birds with one stone?,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 667-697, December.
- Bargain, Olivier & Orsini, Kristian, 2004. "In-Work Policies in Europe: Killing Two Birds with One Stone?," IZA Discussion Papers 1445, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain & Kristian Orsini, 2004. "In-work policies in Europe: killing two birds with one stone?," DELTA Working Papers 2004-13, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bargain, Olivier & Orsini, Kristian, 2004. "In-work policies in Europe: killing two birds with one stone?," EUROMOD Working Papers EM4/04, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Bargain, Olivier & Caliendo, Marco & Haan, Peter & Orsini, Kristian, 2006.
"'Making Work Pay' in a Rationed Labour Market,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2033, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Blundell & Howard Reed & Thomas Stoker, 1999. "Interpreting aggregate wage growth," IFS Working Papers W99/13, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Peter Haan & Michal Myck, 2006.
"Apply with Caution: Introducing UK-Style In-work Support in Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
555, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Peter Haan & Michal Myck, 2007. "Apply with Caution: Introducing UK-Style In-Work Support in Germany," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 28(1), pages 43-72, 03.
- V. Joseph Hotz, 2003.
"The Earned Income Tax Credit,"
in: Means-Tested Transfer Programs in the United States, pages 141-198
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Haan, 2006. "Much ado about nothing: conditional logit vs. random coefficient models for estimating labour supply elasticities," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 251-256.
- Steiner, Viktor, 2001. " Unemployment Persistence in the West German Labour Market: Negative Duration Dependence or Sorting?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(1), pages 91-113, February.
- Creedy, John & Duncan, Alan, 2002. " Behavioural Microsimulation with Labour Supply Responses," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 1-39, February.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan & Julian McCrae & Costas Meghir, 2000. "The labour market impact of the working families’ tax credit," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 21(1), pages 75-103, March.
- Olivier Bargain & Marco Caliendo & Peter Haan & Kristian Orsini, 2005. "'Making Work Pay' in a Rationed Labour Market: The Mini-Job Reform in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 536, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Viktor Steiner & Peter Haan & Katharina Wrohlich, 2005. "Dokumentation des Steuer-Transfer-Mikrosimulationsmodells STSM 1999 - 2002," Data Documentation 9, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(200809)64:3_380:mwpfte_2.0.tx_2-e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.