Stock Market Reaction to Financial Statement Certification by Bank Holding Company CEOs
In 2002, the SEC mandated that the CEOs of large, publicly traded firms certify the accuracy of their company financial statements. The SEC's certification order provides a natural experiment that gives insight into the question of whether banks are opaque. We find that the BHCs subject to the SEC's order experienced positive and significant average abnormal returns from certification. Characteristics associated with greater opaqueness-liquid asset holdings, information-intensive lending, and split credit ratings-are systematically associated with the size of abnormal returns.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon H. Kwan & Mark J. Flannery & M. Nimalendran, 1999.
"Market evidence on the opaqueness of banking firms' assets,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
99-11, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Flannery, Mark J. & Kwan, Simon H. & Nimalendran, M., 2004. "Market evidence on the opaqueness of banking firms' assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 419-460, March.
- Mark J. Flannery & Simon H. Kwan & Mahendrarajah Nimalendran, 1997. "Market evidence on the opaqueness of banking firms' assets," Proceedings 560, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Donald P. Morgan, 2002. "Rating Banks: Risk and Uncertainty in an Opaque Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 874-888, September.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal & Groznik, Peter & Haslem, Bruce, 2007. "Is CEO certification of earnings numbers value-relevant?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 611-635, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:38:y:2006:i:5:p:1263-1291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.