The Great Export Recovery in German Manufacturing Industries, 2009/2010
This paper uses comprehensive high-quality panel data from official statistics for exporting enterprises to investigate the micro-structure of the recent export recovery in 2010 in manufacturing industries in Germany after the great recession of 2008/ 2009. Almost all of the increase in exports was due to positive changes of exports in firms that continue to export (i. e. at the so-called intensive margin) while the increase of exports due to export starters (at the so-called extensive margin) was tiny. It is shown that very large firms played a decisive role in shaping the export recovery. These findings are remarkably symmetric to the results from an analysis of the great export collapse of 2008/09.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 64 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/roe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joachim Wagner, 2008. "A note on why more West than East German firms export," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 363-370, December.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2008.
"Power Laws in Economics and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
14299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Redding, 2010.
"Theories of heterogeneous firms and trade,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
48908, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Redding, 2010. "Theories of Heterogeneous Firms and Trade," CEP Discussion Papers dp0994, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Redding, Stephen J., 2010. "Theories of Heterogeneous Firms and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 7961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen J. Redding, 2010. "Theories of Heterogeneous Firms and Trade," NBER Working Papers 16562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Konold, 2007. "European Data Watch: New possibilities for economic research through integration of establishment-level panel data of German official statistics," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(2), pages 321-334.
- Vincenzo Verardi & Alice McCathie, 2012. "The S-estimator of multivariate location and scatter in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 12(2), pages 299–307, June.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2011.
"Rank - 1 / 2: A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2007. "Rank-1/2: A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents," NBER Technical Working Papers 0342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2005.
"The Granular Origins of Aggregate Fluctuations,"
2005 Meeting Papers
470, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Vincenzo Verardi & Christophe Croux, 2009. "Robust regression in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(3), pages 439-453, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lus:reveco:v:64:y:2013:i:3:p:325-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.