An Efficiency Analysis of Punjab’s Cotton-Wheat System
This study examines the technical, allocative, and economic efficiencies of the cotton-wheat farming system in Punjab, Pakistan. It also investigates the determinants of these efficiencies using a non-parametric data envelopment analysis (DEA) technique. Technical, allocative, and economic inefficiency scores are separately regressed on socioeconomic and farm-specific variables to identify the sources of inefficiency using a Tobit regression model. The mean technical, allocative, and economic efficiencies calculated for the system were 0.87, 0.44, and 0.37, respectively. Our results indicate that years of schooling and the number of contacts with extension agents have a negative impact on the inefficiency of cotton-wheat farming in Punjab.
Volume (Year): 14 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (Jul-Dec)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore|
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Evenson, Robert E., 1994.
"Efficiency in agricultural production: the case of peasant farmers in eastern Paraguay,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(1), January.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Evenson, Robert E., 1994. "Efficiency in agricultural production: The case of peasant farmers in eastern Paraguay," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 27-37, January.
- Lissitsa, Alexej & Coelli, Tim J. & Rao, D.S. Prasada, 2005. "Agricultural Economics Education in Ukrainian Agricultural Universities: An Efficiency Analysis Using Data Envelopment Analysis," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24482, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dhungana, Basanta R. & Nuthall, Peter L. & Nartea, Gilbert V., 2000. "Explaining Economic Inefficiency Of Nepalese Rice Farms: An Empirical Investigation," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123630, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Ismet, Mohammad, 1997. "A Nonparametric Analysis of Efficiency for a Sample of Kansas Beef Cow Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(01), pages 175-184, July.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Ismet, Mohammad, 1997. "A Nonparametric Analysis Of Efficiency For A Sample Of Kansas Beef Cow Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:14:y:2009:i:2:p:97-124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.