Regional Labour Market Developments in Transition: A Survey of the Empirical Literature
We summarize the empirical literature on regional labour market development in transition. This literature suggests that transition has been associated with increased regional disparities and there is some indication of polarisation. Capital cities and regions closer to EU-borders developed better and increased integration has also contributed to divergence. Spill-overs within countries, however, tend to be small. Regional disparities are also unlikely to diminish through migration, wage flexibility and capital mobility. Migration is lower in most transition economies than in the EU and capital mobility tends to reinforce existing regional disparities. Only wage flexibility is higher than in most European labour markets.
Volume (Year): 4 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Matteotti 22 - Castellanza (VA) 21053|
Phone: +39 (0)331-572 1
Fax: +39 (0)331-572 320
Web page: http://eaces.liuc.it/default.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huber, Peter, 2004.
"Intra-national labor market adjustment in the candidate countries,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 248-264, June.
- Peter Huber, 2004. "Intra-national Labour Market Adjustment in the Candidate Countries," WIFO Working Papers 218, WIFO.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004.
"Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 230-247, June.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2003. "Migration and Regional Adjustment to Asymmetric Shocks in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Fidrmuc, 2002. "Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies," CPB Discussion Paper 7, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Peter Huber & Andreas Worgotter, 1997. "Local Labour Market Dynamics in the Czech and Slovak Republics," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 121, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999.
"Stability of monetary unions: Lessons from the break-up of Czechoslovakia,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 17-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Fidrmuc, J. & Horváth, J., 1998. "Stability of Monetary Unions : Lessons from the Break-Up of Czechoslovakia," Discussion Paper 1998-74, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "Stability of Monetary Unions: Lessons from the Break-up of Czechoslovakia," Transition Economics Series 10, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Jan Fidrmuc & Peter Huber, 2007.
"The Willingness to Migrate in the CEECs. Evidence from the Czech Republic,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Jan Fidrmuc & Peter Huber, 2007. "The willingness to migrate in the CEECs evidence from the Czech Republic," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 351-369, September.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:37:i:4:p:393-408 is not listed on IDEAS
- Traistaru, Iulia & Wolff, Guntram B., 2002. "Regional specialization and employment dynamics in transition countries," ZEI Working Papers B 18-2002, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Peter Huber, 2005. "Inter-regional Mobility in the Accession Countries: A Comparison to EU-15 Member States," WIFO Working Papers 249, WIFO.
- Traistaru, Iulia & Nijkamp, Peter & Longhi, Simonetta, 2002. "Regional specialization and concentration of industrial activity in accession countries," ZEI Working Papers B 16-2002, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Tondl, Gabriele & Vuksic, Goran, 2003. "What makes regions in Eastern Europe catching up? The role of foreign investment, human resources and geography," ZEI Working Papers B 12-2003, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:liu:liucej:v:4:y:2007:i:2:p:263-298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.