The Influence of Knut Wicksell on Richard Musgrave and James Buchanan
The schools of thought that Richard Musgrave and James Buchanan represent in the field of public finance differ a great deal. Musgrave represents the insider-Harvard vision of socio-political reality while Buchanan represents the outsider-Chicago-Virginia-public choice vision. The foundation of different schools of thought by Musgrave and Buchanan is surprising insofar as both Musgraveand Buchanan call Knut Wicksell their intellectual father and claim their own work to stand in the Wicksellian tradition. In this paper, the influence of Wicksell on the works of Musgrave and Buchanan is traced out. The paper comes to the conclusion that it is Buchanan on whose work Wicksell had the strongerinfluence. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buchanan, James M, 1987.
"The Constitution of Economic Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 243-50, June.
- Musgrave, Richard A, 1997. "Reconsidering the Fiscal Role of Government," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 156-59, May.
- James M. Buchanan, 1949. "The Pure Theory of Government Finance: A Suggested Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57, pages 496.
- Wagner, Richard E, 1997. "Choice, Exchange, and Public Finance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 160-63, May.
- P. Hennipman, 1982. "Wicksell and Pareto: Their Relationship in the Theory of Public Finance," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 14(1), pages 37-64, Spring.
- Richard Musgrave, 1996. "The role of the state in fiscal theory," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 247-258, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521027922 is not listed on IDEAS
- Buchanan, James M., 1976. "Taxation in fiscal exchange," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 17-29.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:pubcho:v:103:y:2000:i:1:p:95-116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.